Author Topic: Air To Air Combat --- Bird v Model  (Read 976 times)

Offline Old Man

Air To Air Combat --- Bird v Model
« on: August 26, 2020, 01:05:46 AM »

Offline macsporran

Re: Air To Air Combat --- Bird v Model
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 02:41:36 AM »
Fantastic!
I'm with the sparrowhawk every time. ' bout time our feathered friends won a few encounters.
S

Offline smperry

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 03:26:50 AM »
I had a RC foamie Taube that an Osprey took a romantic interest in. He put on a fine display of aerobatic showoffsmanship before trying a mid air mount. Put a 6 inch gash in the wing.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Berman

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 08:53:10 AM »
 The Germans used trained falcons to intercept allied pigeons that carried messages. Wonder if it would have been possible to train these raptors to attack the heads of enemy pilots. The distraction would have been sufficient for pilots to lose control of their aircraft.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 12:12:11 PM »
   Neat footage! That little Guy was definitely wide awake during the lesson plan on Offensive Basic fighter Manoeuvres! Pretty to watch!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Old Man

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 08:41:15 AM »
Glad you all enjoyed it!

What caught my interest particularly was recollection of comments by an early French military pilot, Capt. Ferber, well before the war, describing how he thought aerial combat would occur, likening it to two birds seeking to be the highest, so as to dive down upon the foe, and then if unsuccessful, strive again for height. This bird seems to have the same idea.

I had no idea the Germans used raptors to try and halt carrier pigeons, though it does make some sense. Nor was I aware birds of prey were such a regular foe of RC models. A shame Perry's Taube took such harm.