Author Topic: Hello from the Twin Cities, Minnesota  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Houlie1

Hello from the Twin Cities, Minnesota
« on: August 24, 2020, 01:19:40 AM »
Hello everyone!  A recent joiner as I have developed an interest in WW1 plane modeling.  I have modeled for well over forty years, 95%+ armor.  Probably like many, I have had seasons of activity and others of relative quiet as I entered various stages of life, i.e., college, marriage, kids, job, etc.  Too, I have pursued other interests such as wargaming (ASL, GMT Games...), bicycling, hiking, brewpubs, etc.  The Minnesota winters are always a good time for indoor hobbies.  Probably like most here, I have always been a history nut. 

About a year ago I got interested in WW1 planes while browsing my favorites hobby supplier website and spotting Wingnut Wings kits.  Adding fuel to the fire was stumbling across some WNW build videos on YouTube.  I waffled on whether to depart from armor which were always my first love.  Back then the rigging aspect intimidated me a bit (plus those crazy ~$100-ish prices for WNW kits! -- hahaha!), but I have gotten over that fear.  I never did order any kits, but reengaged a couple months ago after I learned (somewhere?) that WNW was shutting down.  I picked up some Eduard 1/48s and I have been able to acquire several WNW kits and semi-reasonable prices (among the nutty prices!).  Anyway, I love to learn about new things and this facet of WW1 history paired with the tactile creation of something special out of a mass of parts got me excited. 

I have been working to sell off some of my existing 1/35 armor.  Also, to build out my armor backlog and sell them off by the time Winter approaches.  My biggest question is what kit to start first. 

I'll enjoy chatting and will certainly look for some advice as I jump in to this new area of modeling.  Cheers and kind regards! 

Craig
Minnesota, USA

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Hello from the Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 01:54:55 AM »
Hello Craig,
 Welcome to the forum.
You will find all the info and inspiration you need within these virtual walls.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Bob

:) :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 02:36:38 AM »
Welcome Craig!  Glad to have you here amongst this merry band.  Your story sounds very familiar, and we seem to share many interests.  You'll like this forum, no doubt.

When I got back into WWI aircraft modeling several years ago, I started with a Roden 1/32 Fokker Dr.I, since there was little rigging (with which I had little experience, not having built a WWI kit since I was a child back in the late 1960s).  It was a pretty good choice, but a bit more challenging to build that a WNW single-seater.  Still, a pretty buildable kit and a nice model.  My first WNW kit was the Pfalz D.IIIa, which was easy to build and beautiful, followed by the Sopwith Pup, ditto on the build.  With all of your modeling experience, you'll have little problem with the Roden and even the Special Hobby kits.  The new Cooper State Model line of kits (lots of Nieuports in 1/32!) are on par with WNW, and great builds.  Also, if you are not careful, you might also get sucked into the world of paper kit modeling (happened to me), as there seems to be a growing group of paper modelers building interesting paper kits on the forum (check them out).

Relax, enjoy, and build what you are interested in.  They guys here can help with recommendations for all sorts of good aftermarket products, and I actually learned a lot from checking out the Des Delatorre (RIP Des) tutorial links on the main WWI Aircraft Modeling web page, particularly his rigging tutorial.  I don't make my own eyelets and turnbuckles though, since they are easily had from Bob von Buckle of this forum, which saves me the extra time and trouble, and they are well worth the modest price! 

Anyway, have fun, join in and welcome to WWI modeling! 

Best regards,

Bob     

Online Radarman

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 02:58:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum Craig! There is a great amount of knowledge around this place. I'm sure
you'll enjoy it all.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 10:19:40 AM »
Hi Craig

Welcome to the Forum where you will find the world's best collection of friendly and helpful WW1 modellers. Feel free to ask any questions as every topic in the WW1 modelling world is represented here.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 12:37:36 AM »
Welcome Craig! I hope you have a lot of fun on the site -there is lots of valuable information techniques and tips! ATB, Marc.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 01:47:25 AM »
Welcome to the forum, you will enjoy.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Houlie1

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 03:24:21 AM »
Thank you all for the kind welcome!  While I am well-steeped in WW2 armor (I can put you to sleep in two minutes -- time me!  Zzzzzzz), I have a lot to learn about WW1 aviation.  It's great to know there are helpful folks willing to support others and share their knowledge.  Cheers! 

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 10:23:20 AM »
Welcome to the site Craig  :)

Like the others have said this is the best site . The guys here are great and even let this lady be part of the group . So don't be shy and any question you have just ask . There are a very other guys that do armour as well and not just WW 2 but WW 1 as well . Have a peak at their work in the off topic builds .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »
   Welcome to our special place Craig. As you've already discovered there's all the knowledge and help a new WWI Aircraft modeller could ask for  here for the asking. It'll be great to follow your first contributions here, enjoy!
Cheers,
Lance