Author Topic: Paint brushes?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Jammed Vickers

Paint brushes?
« on: August 22, 2020, 01:22:34 AM »
What paint brushes are popular these days?  I used to use red sable brushes, but I'm not sure of what's better today.  Thanks for your input.
Wayne

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.  There can be no courage unless you're scared."

Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker, 94th Pursuit Squadron, AEF

Offline smperry

Re: Paint brushes?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 02:19:57 AM »
I only use paint brushes for details, so I get a bag of cheapies from Walmart and just pitch them when they get nasty, which they eventually do no matter how much care I take in cleaning them. I could probably buy a WnW kit off Ebay for what it would cost to have a set of quality atrist's brushes for enamels another for acrylics and a third set for watercolors.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 02:43:23 AM »
There's a chain in the UK called The Works who do art supplies including quite good quality brush sets. I use their 0/0, 1/0, 3/0, 5/0 and 10/0 (retails for 2GBP the set) for detail work - instrument faces etc.
They also did flat brushes in similar sets, but I haven't seen them recently. You can't beat a good flat brush size 4, 5 or 6 for cockpit interiors. I usually brush interiors (apart from metallic) and airbrush exteriors. Quite often I'll use a big flat brush size 11 or so for Klear/Future or self levelling mixes.

I've got some good expensive Winsor and Newton etc brushes but I tend to use the cheaper Works brushes and bin them every so often.
I'm sure there'll be similar stores in US. Don't trust eBay though, better to see first what you are buying!
Sandy

Offline Jammed Vickers

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »
There's a chain in the UK called The Works who do art supplies including quite good quality brush sets. I use their 0/0, 1/0, 3/0, 5/0 and 10/0 (retails for 2GBP the set) for detail work - instrument faces etc.
They also did flat brushes in similar sets, but I haven't seen them recently. You can't beat a good flat brush size 4, 5 or 6 for cockpit interiors. I usually brush interiors (apart from metallic) and airbrush exteriors. Quite often I'll use a big flat brush size 11 or so for Klear/Future or self levelling mixes.

I've got some good expensive Winsor and Newton etc brushes but I tend to use the cheaper Works brushes and bin them every so often.
I'm sure there'll be similar stores in US. Don't trust eBay though, better to see first what you are buying!
Sandy

Thanks, Sandy.  I went to "Michael's," basically an arts and crafts store here in the US.  I picked up some decent brushes for less than $10, for 16 brushes! 
Wayne

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.  There can be no courage unless you're scared."

Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker, 94th Pursuit Squadron, AEF

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 11:55:06 AM »
Hi Wayne

As a brush painter I like to use sable brushes wherever possible and Winsor & Newton brand brushes are perfect. Other quality brands are great too but it's always best to aim for a soft fibre brush rather than the more coarse camel hair type. A quality brush coupled with well thinned paint delivers a smooth, mark-free paint finish.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com