Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Albatros D.Va - COMPLETED!  (Read 20765 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Albatros D.Va
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2020, 10:12:07 PM »
Eric,
    Very clever trick with the poster putty, I've used the same technique with fresh "blu-tac" and the RB "parts pencil" works nearly as well. This is a beautiful model even at this early stage, and your "woodwork" is exceptional! A pleasure to follow your progress here, lovely work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2020, 02:19:03 AM »
The engine should be an outstanding addition to your already beautiful Model! Nice touch with the poster putty!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2020, 10:39:49 AM »
Those details are really going to make the engine pop ! Even with my glasses I have a hard time seeing them .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2020, 11:53:57 AM »
Beautiful work on the paint/wood finish and nice engineering on the motor

Steve

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2020, 04:39:04 PM »
stunning bit of wood painting, looking forward to seeing the rest of it

Offline eclarson

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2020, 12:04:03 AM »
Applying the HGW Nail Head decals - slow work, especially with the recommended 6-8 hour wait before peeling off the carrier film - but so worth it!

Eric

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2020, 01:19:37 AM »
The nail heads do add to the overall look! I really like how this one is turning out!
RAGIII

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2020, 01:27:19 AM »
this just gets better and better, loving the look of that fuselage

Online FAf

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2020, 02:02:11 AM »
You've nailed it!  ::)
/Fredrik

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »
 ;D Yes you have!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline eclarson

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2020, 12:19:26 PM »
Just finished the most nerve wracking thing I've ever done on a model.  Thanks to Pheon's one-piece fuselage sash decal not coming close to fitting, I had to resort to masking and painting the white and red bands over the finished wood grain and nail head decals!

Fortunately, Pheon also provided separate badges.  I later noticed one of the badges on the sash decal was printed reversed whereas the individual ones are correct. Several coats of Tamiya Clear Gloss, allowed to cure for a week, sealed the wood grain and nail heads so I figured masking with Tamiya tape would be low-risk. I used strips of their 3.0mm "tape for curves" to outline the bands then extended the masking with regular Tamiya tape and plastic wrap. Removing the tape went well until the last piece which lifted a small area of the wood right down to the bare plastic. There must have been some contaminant on the plastic, like finger oil, before the first coat of primer was applied.

But if it had to happen, it couldn't have happened in a better spot as it will be covered by the badge decal. Tamiya Clear was applied over the "wound" to seal it.  After the band's paint has cured for a day or so, another gloss clear coat will be sprayed on prior to applying the badge decals.

Finally, here's a closeup of the tail showing the skid details.  I wrapped the center portion with a strip of thin parchment paper, coated with white glue and Future, to replicate how the real one was wrapped with linen strips for reinforcement.  The exposed part was given my usual oil paint wood grain treatment.  The steel end cap was painted Vallejo Gun Metal.

Eric

Offline smperry

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2020, 09:25:29 PM »
Beautiful work Eric. Still, that pull up had to tick you off, so glad it will be hidden.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2020, 09:34:37 PM »
Superb work Eric! I do like stripes/bands and yours are Top Notch. This is turning into one of the prettiest Albatros Models I have seen.
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2020, 09:59:55 PM »
Beautiful work Eric on the fuselage  :)

Not sure what you mean by ..." 6-8 hours before pulling the backing off " ? Never heard of having to do this to decals before .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2020, 10:32:53 PM »
Looking absolutely stunning, shame about the damage but at least it's gonna be hidden #modelgoals 😎👍