Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Albatros D.Va - COMPLETED!  (Read 20877 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Albatros D.Va
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2020, 05:23:26 AM »
Beautifully done exhaust Eric! I only hope My Pfalz exhaust comes somewhere near your finish!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline eclarson

« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2020, 05:48:11 AM »
Beautifully done exhaust Eric! I only hope My Pfalz exhaust comes somewhere near your finish!
RAGIII

Thank you!   The way I did this one was inspired by Jeroen Veen's Roland D.VIa in his "Stringbag! - A Modeller's Guide to the Art of WWI Aircraft".   That book, and the Air Modeler's WNW guides, are sources of many of the techniques I try. 

I really love playing with different ways to achieve the look of the various materials found on WWI aircraft. 

Eric

Offline eclarson

« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2020, 11:15:08 AM »
To paraphrase Lily Tomlin's Ernestine character: "One wingy-dingy, two wingy-dingys..."   :)

A small update - I've completed painting and decalling my Albatros' lower wings and will be attaching them to the fuselage soon. The bare wood wing roots were embellished with left-over HGW nail head decals and small drain pipes added to the underside using aluminum micro-tubing.

Eric

Offline Radarman

« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2020, 12:05:51 PM »
Eric,
It's great to see the extra little details like the drain pipes. Looking great!

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2020, 12:39:31 PM »
Have I said Stunning work yet? Either way it is Truly Stunning!
RAGIII

Offline eclarson

« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2020, 02:33:00 AM »
Introducing my new Vertigo biplane jig, which is a nice upgrade from my traditional foam blocks, but they'll continue to have a place on my bench.
And as can be seen, my Albatros is coming together and is starting to look like an airplane.   :)

Eric

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2020, 01:09:58 PM »
Wow Eric , just Wow !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »
Looking great! Someday I really need to get one of those Jigs!
RAGIII

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2020, 08:34:48 PM »
That looks wonderful together!  I especially like your wood finish on the fuselage.  Really pops!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline FAf

« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2020, 08:44:46 PM »
The jig looks great, but it's nothing in comparison to the model and the photography! I really like your photos as they are sharp and large = allows me to really zoom in and admire all the nice details!
Looking forward to the next step.
/Fredrik

Offline eclarson

« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2020, 09:51:26 AM »
I'm feeling positively radiant! The HGW photo-etched radiator set is a huge improvement over the kit representation, especially as the kit lacks the louver control rod and lever.  Speaking of louvers, getting them in place between the two sides was quite fun!  Added scratch details include some piping (from 0.015" solder) and proper radiator cap.

Also completed painting and decals on the upper wing.  I had to make a judgment call on the upper crosses.  Pheon's placement diagram shows a faint image of the older style crosses beneath those seen here implying the original crosses were over-painted prior to adding the newer ones.  Interestingly, no such indication is made for the lower wing underside crosses. 
I could find no reference photos showing the wings so I'm guessing Pheon made an assumption based on photographic evidence that the fuselage side crosses were over-painted and replaced.  My first inclination was to apply the old style cross decals, over-paint them with several more coats of mauve, then apply the second decals, but I eventually decided to avoid the layering of multiple decals and just apply the visible crosses.  Another option would have been to make masks and paint the original style crosses but I didn't feel I could pull that off convincingly nor did I feel it worth the efforts.  So, I made the executive decision to only apply the later style crosses.    :)

Cheers,
Eric

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2020, 10:31:10 AM »
   That Rad is very impressive Eric. As for your Albie, good grief man, it just keeps getting better, and better, and Better!    Just an absolutely magnificent model!
Cheers,
Lance

Online William Adair

« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2020, 11:52:05 AM »
It’s amazing.  Already a masterpiece and it isn’t even complete yet.  :)

Online RAGIII

« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2020, 10:51:36 PM »
Outstanding work on the Radiator! What a Beautiful Albatros this will be when finished!
RAGIII

Offline eclarson

« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2020, 02:35:45 PM »
Oh what a tangled web - I've started the rigging process on my Albatros.  First step was to attach the lines to the underside of the upper wing.   Also seen are the finished radiator sections.  The underside one is cemented in place.  The control rod & lever will be added right before the upper wing is joined to the rest of the model.  The upper radiator section will be installed later as well.

I had a lengthy debate with myself over whether to use monofilament or elastic line.  As can be seen, the monofilament won.  Besides adding strength to the wing assembly, it's much easier to thread through the eyelets and hollow tubing I use to replicate bindings and turnbuckles. 

Cheers,
Eric