Author Topic: AMT 1/48 A-20 Havoc  (Read 1642 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
AMT 1/48 A-20 Havoc
« on: August 14, 2020, 08:46:08 AM »
This is what I've been up to lately - an AMT Havoc.  Certainly not the best of kits - quite simplified with terrible decals - dot matrix printed and off register, but the markings appear to be accurate which is more than I can say about the Kitsworld decals I had bought for this model.  I also ended up getting some stencil decals from Foxbot (excellent).
But its a good shelf model of an under-recognized aircraft of WW2.

I did use aftermarket wheels and gun barrels to dress it up some.

I'll probably be back to WW1 now.

Offline rhallinger

Re: AMT 1/48 A-20 Havoc
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 11:35:53 AM »
 Very cool!  Looks like a G model.  I want the build an AMT 1/48 A version conversion by Pappy Gunn with Brownings field installed in the nose as used in New Guinea in early 1943.  Your build provides motivation!  I agree that the A-20 is under appreciated for the breadth of its service and the role it played.  How was this kit to build?  Can you link me to a build log?  Nice job with this, and thanks for posting it! 

Best regards,

Bob   

Offline Old Man

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 07:00:09 PM »
Looks like one to me, Sir, and crisply executed, too.

That's one helluva nose. Hope it brought the guys flew behind it through.

Offline kensar

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 10:36:56 PM »
Thanks for commenting Bob and Old Man.
Bob - are you sure you're not thinking about the B-25s that Pappy converted?
I do not have a build log and certainly made a few mistakes on this one.  The build was made difficult because the plastic parts are thin by injection molding standards.  The large parts - wings and fuse were warped and had to be pulled into position when assembling.  I also put the left engine in the right wing and vice versa, as the magnetos are not pointing straight up and down.  The engines are the kit engines with ignition wires added.  I also had painting masks, but I don't remember what brand.  They were only useful for using as patterns to cut masks out of Tamiya tape.
Until next time...

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 12:20:41 AM »
I just finished reading "Race of Aces" about the Fifth AF and the air war over New Guinea.  You are correct that Gunn did convert B-25s, but before that he converted some A-20As or Bs in similar manner, with four Brownings in the nose, and they were deployed successfully, along with the B-25s, in low level strafing and skip-bombing attacks during the Battle of the Bismarck Sea, where the Fifth AF and RAAF decimated a Japanese troop convoy attempting to reinforce the garrison at Lae in March 1943.  As you have indicated, the A-20 is under-recognized, and I think it would be fun to convert a 1/48 AMT A-20B to one of these early strafers field-rigged by Gunn's team.  Unfortunately, they were relatively few in number, and there are only a few decent photos of them that I have found so far. 

Here is a link to an article on Pappy Gunn that mentions the A-20 strafer conversions: https://www.atomagazine.com/extras/Man_Behind_the_Gun.pdf

I already have a 1/48 B-25 strafer in the stash!  As I am sure you know, it is tough liking both WWI and WWII aircraft models--way to much that I want to build! :o

Thanks for your tips on the pitfalls of this kit.  You did a marvelous job with it, and it really looks the part!  I hope whatever I end up doing comes out nearly as well. ;D

Best regards,

Bob
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:02:11 AM by rhallinger »

Offline kensar

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 05:52:32 AM »
I don't doubt Pappy converted some A-20s.  I just couldn't remember.  I read (listened to a recording on CD) a bibliography on Pappy entitled 'Indestructable', which is a great story if you can get past the knee-deep hero worship, which only drags down the story.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 09:24:12 AM »
Really nicely done !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 09:59:21 AM »
Thanks, T.  Hoping it inspires you to finish the B Stang soon.