Author Topic: Captured W.29 in British Markings  (Read 846 times)

Offline fredjocko

Captured W.29 in British Markings
« on: August 14, 2020, 07:09:20 AM »
Hi:

In December, 1918, the British received their first W.29, aircraft 2670. It was fitted with a Benz IIIa engine with a single exhaust on the starboard side instead of the typical six exhaust on the port side. The after action report states the aircraft was painted a pale or sea green. Historians have figured out that the aircraft was repainted at the Isle of Grain and that it was painted in the normal German Navy blue/grey with it was captured. My question is what color is sea green or pale green? Here is a profile of it and I don’t know if the green shown is the color or a rendering. Any thoughts as to what pale green or sea green is any of the paint manufacturers? Thank you in advance. 

Thank you,
Carl

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Captured W.29 in British Markings
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 08:49:34 AM »
My guess would be RLM Grey 02  ( Tamiya XF-22 ) seems very close and should be easily enough to lighten or darken as needed . Or maybe Vallejo Model Air RLM 02 . These are the paints I use but hope it gives you a good starting point

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 08:59:25 AM »
My guess would be RLM Grey 02  ( Tamiya XF-22 ) seems very close and should be easily enough to lighten or darken as needed . Or maybe Vallejo Model Air RLM 02 . These are the paints I use but hope it gives you a good starting point

Terri

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll check it. 

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 11:29:10 PM »
I found a picture of aircraft 2670 and it shows the tail having what I presume is blue, white, and red stripes instead of the British roundel as shown in the profiles. Does anyone know if the stripes were done when it was originally captured or were they done during the repaint? Enquiring minds want to know or at least me... Thank you

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 04:23:43 AM »
Hi Carl!
In Windsock Datafile dedicated to W.29 there are two photos of your subject. They confirm roundel on rudder.
Author for these photos stated that original report said that 2670 had fuselage sides painted palish or sea green and all upper surfaces (fuselage too) were covered with naval hexagon fabric with floats in natural colors.
Looking at photos, my first doubt is color for wing underside surfaces, in my opinion no CDL, you may see a little white border on roundels that indicate dark color.
I don't know what is "palish or sea green", no trace of this color in RNAS planes too.
My two cents!
Roberto