Author Topic: AK Interactive WW1 Paint Colors Question  (Read 2082 times)

Online RAGIII

AK Interactive WW1 Paint Colors Question
« on: August 13, 2020, 07:45:32 AM »
If this has been asked before My apologies. I Noticed an Ad for AK paint for German WW1 colors. Has anyone used this? Opinions? At $34.00 per set I am hesitant to order blind!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline O_Pablo

Re: AK Interactive WW1 Paint Colors Question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 05:35:42 AM »
I bought half a year ago and did a spoons test. So, in general, as you know, the WW1 colors are debatable, especially since I don't have the Methuen Color Chart. For me, the most controversial is the light blue color, which clearly falls into gray here. I will try to post a picture of the spoons with colorchecker on Monday.

Paul

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 06:06:02 AM »
I bought the set recently for the Roden 1/32 Albatros D.III I'm starting - but just working on interior so haven't used them as yet. Your price seems very high though. I bought them in the UK from a local eBay seller for less than 15GBP.
Worth shopping around?
S

Offline eclarson

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 06:34:27 AM »
I've had a set for a while but never tried them until recently.  I'm working on a WNW Albatros D.Va and so far have only used the grey-green primer but I'm satisfied with it.  Sprays fine right out of the bottle though a drop or two of acrylic thinner can help the flow if needed.  It's a little thin for brush painting so a couple coats would be needed.  I'd recommend brush painting with it only for small touch-ups. 

Being a water-based acrylic it definitely should be applied over a good primer.  In my case, Alclad Grey Micro Filler/Primer or White Stynylrez was used.

I won't get into a color debate as IMHO, with WWI colors, close is good enough.  I may use the AK Mauve, Light Green, and Light Blue but I also have some Mister Kit paints in those colors that need used. 

As for the price, remember you're getting 8 bottles of paint in the set so at $34 that's $4.25 per bottle.  Not too bad this day and age.

Cheers,
Eric
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 06:39:24 AM by eclarson »

Offline LuckyLuke

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 06:46:41 AM »
I bought half a year ago and did a spoons test. So, in general, as you know, the WW1 colors are debatable, especially since I don't have the Methuen Color Chart. For me, the most controversial is the light blue color, which clearly falls into gray here. I will try to post a picture of the spoons with colorchecker on Monday.

Paul
Since I am interested too in this paint set I will look out for your comments on them.
Thanks Paul  ;)

Luk

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 07:09:52 AM »
Just checked my eBay history. I bought them from Dave Coley Emporium in UK on June29 this year for 16.99GBP including local shipping. So just over 2quid a bottle. Shop around folks.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 08:55:27 AM »
Thanks foor the replies ! I am looking forward to results of all tests of these colors!
RAGIII

Offline O_Pablo

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 09:01:18 PM »
Promised photos of spoons.

Regards
Paul

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 03:52:18 AM »
I bought all the sets a year or two ago.  I too did the spoon test.  Unfortunately, my skills with an airbrush weren't too great at the time, with acrylics, doubly so.  I did not get near the results Paul has shown.  My brush painting of these was quite hideous to boot. 

My goal was to put the colors from the Datafiles on a few models and see what the authors saw.  When I put the AK spoon tests up against the Methuen Handbook, none of the AK colors  matched the Datafile colors.  In fact, I don't remember any of them being close.  But, as you can see from Paul's picture, they are lovely colors that go well together.  If I wasn't obsessed with the silly notion of reproducing the datafile colors in the flesh, I would consider using them.

Stuart

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 05:26:31 AM »
Thanks for the Spoon shots. They all look in the ball park to Me. One can always make them darker or lighter to suit taste. I am not Pedantic about colors. We really don't have samples of Most  that can be verified not to have changed with age. So My next question would be how do they spray and what thinners are recommended? Thsnks again!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 06:58:31 AM by RAGIII »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 06:47:45 AM »
I've thought about trying them, but the price has given me second thoughts. 
The nice thing about it is they come in a set with most of the needed colors.
Also hope they work better than Tamiya acrylics, which I find don't stick to plastic very well. 
If someone can identify a domestic source at a reasonable price, I would like to know.

Offline O_Pablo

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 07:32:33 AM »
In Poland, the set costs about $ 21 including VAT. In my opinion, the paints will allow you to paint about 5 models in 1/32 scale, provided that the surface of the model is properly prepared and a primer is used. The photos I have posted show scratches on the paintwork, but I did not use any primer. Spoons were move on the all surface of the windowsill, so there must be some damage.
In my opinion, they are pretty cool paints, as standard I use Vallejo or AK acrylic thinner and for a longer painting session with a retarder. Vallejo recommends 0.2 ÷ 0.4mm nozzles for its paints and I think that the same scheme is suitable for AK.
Best regards,
Paul.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 08:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the spoon test! :)

One thing I haven't been able to find out, is if you can get the paints separately if you run out of one colour? Does anyone know?

Jeroen

Offline O_Pablo

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 03:22:27 AM »
Yes, you can buy single colors, you don't need to buy the whole set. In my country, the set is a bit cheaper.

Paul

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 05:20:06 AM »
Thanks! :)