Author Topic: Question About 'Small Stuff' Rotary Motors  (Read 859 times)

Offline Old Man

Question About 'Small Stuff' Rotary Motors
« on: August 10, 2020, 05:01:15 AM »
Do these have a true scale diameter, or are they reduced a bit to allow for thickness of a kit's cowling parts?

I may have a use coming up for a brace of seven-cylinder Gnomes, which I see they do offer.

Offline smperry

Re: Question About 'Small Stuff' Rotary Motors
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 05:14:13 AM »
I have a 7 cyl 50 hp Gnome on order from them. Been nearly a month, so it should show up before too long. I will let you know when it is in hand. I will use it on a scratch built Nie.IV that I have had sitting around. I will build the cowl around it, so size isn't likely to be an issue.
Of course now that I have 2 reasons for wanting it, it will take longer to get here. :-)
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 06:13:53 AM »
Thank you, Sir. I just found a shop that's sort of local which has them listed in stock. I am turning over the idea of scratch-building a Nieuport X, so it would be cowled.

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 06:18:05 AM »
I have the Merlin Nieuport 10. Yours for a mailing address. That counts as scratchbuilt in most folks book.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 06:23:50 AM »
Hi Old Man - I did a review of Small Stuff rotary engines over on the review boards, here -

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11272.0

Indeed they are true to scale, so yes you do need to be careful when fitting them under cowls.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Old Man

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 10:20:00 AM »
I have the Merlin Nieuport 10. Yours for a mailing address. That counts as scratchbuilt in most folks book.
sp

I will take you up on thyat, Sir. I have never had a Merlin kit, and it might save a bit of time and effort. Please check your inbox.

Hi Old Man - I did a review of Small Stuff rotary engines over on the review boards, here -

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11272.0

Indeed they are true to scale, so yes you do need to be careful when fitting them under cowls.

Cheers,

BC

Thank you, Sir. Great review, and I appreciate the information.