Author Topic: Show us your - Sopwith 1.5 Strutter  (Read 3315 times)

Online macsporran

Show us your - Sopwith 1.5 Strutter
« on: August 08, 2020, 05:33:57 AM »
Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter - No3 Wing RNAS, Luxeil 1916

Flying 9407, FltSubLt Raymond Collishaw shot down a Fokker during the Oberndorf raid in November 10th.
Another of my old 1/48 (Tom's Modelworks vacform) kits. Looking forward hopefully to a new one in 1/32 from Roden. I'll buy several - single seater, two seater, French, RFC, etc, etc...

Offline dr 1 ace

Re: Show us your - Sopwith 1.5 Strutter
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 08:18:27 AM »
Like your Tripe, well done !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 06:08:55 AM »
Nice one!

The 1/72 Toko "Comic" strutter was actually my first WWI model so I'm kind of fond of the 1 1/2 Strutter :)
I still have it, so I'll see if I can take some pictures for the gallery here, though it's far from my best model ever!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:06:52 AM »
Simply gorgeous, Sandy!  I remember her from when I first joined wwi-models.org.  It was the first 1 1/2 Strutter model I had ever seen and I fell in love with it immediately.  Right then and there I knew I had to have a Strutter or two in my collection.  I think at that time, Tom's kit was no longer available, but soon after, the Roden kits came out and I picked up a few of those.
Here's mine:
Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter No.6 of Sgt Gabriel Herbert and Adj Charles Borzecki, N62, 1916

Thanks for the inspiration, Sandy!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline smperry

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 09:51:49 AM »
Nicely done Bud, especially the cowling. How did you get that effect, it is some of the best I have ever seen.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 10:19:07 AM »
Thanks, Steven! First coat was semi-gloss black from a rattle can.  Then I applied the dots with a silver sharpie.  Lastly, I sprayed a coat of Model Master buffable aluminum and buffed it until the dots showed through.  Really quite easy.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline smperry

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 10:45:03 AM »
Bud
Now that's a new one on me. I'm going to have to try that, It will work in any scale too depending on how blunt your Sharpie point is. You have no idea how many things I have spun in a Dremel trying to duplicate the look using that silver paste in a tube, I forget what they call it.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 11:16:55 AM »
Nice!

Here's mine - Flashback 1/72:

Cheers,

BC

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
She's a beauty, Brad!  Like all of your 1/72 scale models, she looks much larger.  Very fine craftsmanship.
Cheers,
Bud

Online macsporran

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 05:00:50 PM »
Very nice, guys.
When I started to scroll down Bud's post I thought, yes these are good shots of a real aircraft but where's the model - until I realised! Outstanding, Sir!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 01:04:05 AM »
   Some really beautiful models here Guys, nice to see. That cowling is sheer magic Bud, so glad you posted it and I've recorded your technique in my "Color Notes", many thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 02:54:00 AM »
This is an ancient build I did for August Blume. It is in Latvian markings, though the salmon color of the swastikas didn't come out well on the 4 megapixl camera I had back then. IIRC it is the Toko kit and blue rider decals.
sp

And this one is a Peter Rake design prototype. He sent me the plans as an attachment on an email. I had them printed, cut all the parts and built and flew the model. IIRC the markings were for the RNAS squadron that shared the airfield with the Lafayette Esquadrille. I think it was supposed to be Collishaw's machine, but I recently saw a model with different markings supposed to be his. so I'm not for sure on that. BTW the model flew really well.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 01:48:45 AM »
The Strutters posted here are Outstanding examples and certainly an Inspiration! I am really looking forward to Rodens 1/32nd kit Now More than ever!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 08:36:29 PM »
My first ww1 aircraft, of course I had to start with something complicated! Nowehere near as nice as those shown already, I still have it for memories sake. I have to say I learned a lot since then! (like alignment, not to use copper wire for rigging, etc etc). It's been standing so long I can't even get the dust off ;)
It's the Toko 1/72 "Comic", including kit decals. Finished in Humbrol 108 on top and 74 underneath.

Jeroen

PS I reallllllllyyyyyyyy hope Roden will do the Comic in 1/32 so I can re-do this one on a bigger scale!

Online macsporran

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 10:02:26 PM »
Excellent Strutter, Jeroen - and especially for a first build. I think my first biplane kept reverting itself to a monoplane, so congrats on such a successful launch.
Sandy