Author Topic: Heat stretching sprue for rigging  (Read 812 times)

Offline smperry

Heat stretching sprue for rigging
« on: August 04, 2020, 03:23:09 AM »
The key to heat stretching sprue is the proper heating of the piece of sprue you are using. I hold my piece, 1.5-2" long over a lit tea candle and constantly roll it between my fingers. If it gets dark gray and sooty, you are too close. As the sprue warms up, put a little pressure to bend on it as you continue to rotate the piece over the flame. When you can get a 15 or 20 degree bend and can rotate smoothly while bent like there is a universal joint in the plastic, then you are ready to pull. Pull evenly and steadily. You can get the full span of your arms, about 5 ft, if you do it right, but 3' or so is easier to work with. Best to then drop one end and let it cool vertically. Look at it carefully and you will see it is thick and tapered at the ends and way too thin in the middle. Cut these unusable sections off and get rid of them. You should be left with a couple of pieces several inches long that are pretty close to even diameter and usable for rigging.
That is a lot of waste, but the sprue was waste to begin with. Only use straight lengths of sprue with no branching or nubs along their length.  Different thicknesses require different heating time to heat all the way through. Sprue stretched for rigging needs to be heated all the way through. Sprue stretched for thicker pieces such as landing gear struts or radio masts is not heated all the way through and is stretched much shorter, about a foot.
Sprue for rigging can be painted before use by putting a drop or two of paint in an up turned cap and dipping a cotton bud in the paint and using it to press the sprue into the paint and then gently draw the line under the bud to coat with paint. Allow it to hang vertically until the paint is completely dry. Or, you can paint it once it is installed and then figure how to remove the little droplets of paint that get all over your wing. (Hint, make sure whatever coats your wing is impervious to whatever thinner the sprue paint requires. Then it cleans up easily)
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Monty

Re: Heat stretching sprue for rigging
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 04:17:41 AM »
Thank you for posting this! Interestingly enough, we are seeing a resurgence of modellers using this technique. And I'm all for it. Much finer and more scale effects can be achieved, bits of paint can be used to represent those turnbuckles and fittings, and the sprue can be tensioned (after the glue holding it in place has properly dried) by holding a heated pin or fine blade near the sprue - don't touch it... the sprue gives a sudden contraction and suddenly is as straight as anything. I use Microscale (or Superscale) Krystal clear to glue it in place. If there is a problem or broken sprue "wire" just use water to soften the glue, pull it out and replace! The advantages are no tension on the wings, what we want in many situations, but not if you need structural tension and strength, then use another technique. I do paint after installation, Your tips are spot on, and the paint colour can be varied and interesting... Regards, Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 07:10:12 AM »
Excellent advice SP! I would only add that Not All Sprue stretches well. I have found Older Monogram kits lijke the B29, AT6, P47 etc. with the silver plastic stretch great and one doesn't really need to paint the resultant wires  ::) On the other hand Old Pyro silver sprue from the Fury was resistant to good stretching. Since I finally ran out of sprues from My B29 I have been using the Hobby Craft Sprue on My SPAD's and it is working well but does need painting. So if you are having No Luck try Sprue from another  kit. JMHO,

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 07:25:57 AM »
You are absolutely correct Rick. I neglected to mention that there is a difference in plastic, some stretches well and some doesn't. I don't throw away any sprues until I have tested a piece and know how well it stretches...or doesn't.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.