Author Topic: Roden 1/32nd Fokker Triplane, Ernst Udet (Yipes Stripes)  (Read 2987 times)

Offline mgunns

Roden 1/32nd Fokker Triplane, Ernst Udet (Yipes Stripes)
« on: August 03, 2020, 06:00:25 AM »
Okay:  It's been about two  years since I last built a 1/32nd WWI Subject.  Got the juices flowing again after a Monogram Big Bomber and '50s Jet craze/mania, a feeble start on a 1/350 Titanic: but am now back to WWI Subjects.  I decided to get back into the swing of things with the Roden 1/32nd Fokker DR.I  I think this was their first WWI subject and builds into a nice model.  I built one when the kit first came out and wanted to try it now some ten years later.  It does require a lot of dry fitting and trimming of many parts but doesn't require tubes of putty and hours of sanding, nay dare I say an evening of fitting and trimming and it's ready to go.  Sadly, I can't say much for the decals.  Having done several of their kits I knew enough to make masks for the markings, save for "LO".  I tried, but getting the "O" to look decent was a bugger and I went with the decal and painted over it, rather unsuccessfully but there it is.
I had seen this scheme done a number of years ago by someone on Aeroscale and it had always impressed me so I gave it a go.  I used the Aviatik Streaking decals cut to fit this scheme and their cowling: I had a "spare" WNW air speed indicator that I put on the starboard wing strut and used HGW Seatbelts, and of course Bob's Buckles Eyelets and Tubes, other wise OOB.  The stripes were a bit of a challenge to get them to match due to the angles where they met so I had to adjust the angle of the stripe accordingly, just enough, to get them to match up.
It was a fun build, albeit a bit challenging with the turtle deck, again, trimming and fitting, de capo el fine, (repeat and finish) until it fit acceptably. 
I noticed again that WWI subjects require a different skillset vice Monograms Big Bombers and F-89's, a skillset that is perishable if not used on a regular basis.
Overall I am pleased with the results.
I picked up the base used in the photo's at the U.S. IPMS Nationals in Phoenix back in 2018, it's a nice piece of gear and was well worth the money.

Enjoy

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:28:41 AM by mgunns »
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Roden 1/32nd Fokker Triplane, Ernst Udet (Yipes Stripes)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 06:54:02 AM »
Very nice. And so on time,when the rebirth of Roden's 32nd scale kits was announced. This is a type of kits we all will soon be dealing with. Good, good'
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 07:44:00 AM »
Hi Mark,
You certainly haven't lost your touch!
Well done on a lovely crafted Tripe ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 08:18:17 AM »
Really nice work Mark . Not an easy scheme to mask . I did this scheme on Eduards kit way back on Aeroscale but I didn't add the " Lo "

Will you be starting a new WW 1 build ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline mgunns

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 11:34:22 AM »
Thanks Prez, Bob and Terri:

@Terri:  Yes, I have started a WNW Albatros DV.a for the Albatros GB on Facebook.  I using the Pheon Sheet and using the markings of Otto Fuchs, "The Flying Fox".  I read his book, good read and wanted to his aircraft.  It's a nice way to get back into the hobby as well, minimum but challenging rigging, neat aircraft.  Check it out.
Mark

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 02:32:08 AM »
I am having problems with some of the photos, but from the pair that I can see that is a first class model. I do like the stripes - but I bet they tested your patience to paint. The base really sets off an excellent model.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 06:21:37 AM »
Absolutely Stunning Mark! I love your stripes  8) This is a scheme I will most likely do in the (Near) future and your results certainly inspire Me! I will however do it as Kirschsteins original Jasta 6 machine without the LO.

RAGIII
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:43:11 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 06:36:27 AM »
Very nice Dreidecker Mark!  Well done with a challenging scheme.  I like the look of the Aviattic streaking also.

Hey, I'd love to see the results of your off topic Monogram big bomber craze, too. ;D  Any links to share?  Just askin'. 

Best regards,

Bob

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 06:48:27 AM »
Nice one. I bet it was difficult to paint - but even more difficult to aim a gun in the heat of a dogfight! Razzle Dazzle indeed.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 09:11:46 AM »
Very impressive results, Mark.  I can't add anything more that hasn't already been said.  That scheme makes me buggy-eyed.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 11:11:24 AM »
Very nice Dreidecker Mark!  Well done with a challenging scheme.  I like the look of the Aviattic streaking also.

Hey, I'd love to see the results of your off topic Monogram big bomber craze, too. ;D  Any links to share?  Just askin'. 

Best regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob for scoping out the Dreidecker.  Below are a couple of links, one is to my IModeler page the other is a link to my B-36 build on the Monogram page.  Let me know what you think.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/566878750035183/search/?query=Mark%20krumrey&epa=SEARCH_BOX

https://imodeler.com/members/mkrumrey/
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 11:14:42 AM »
Absolutely Stunning Mark! I love your stripes  8) This is a scheme I will most likely do in the (Near) future and your results certainly inspire Me! I will however do it as Kirschsteins original Jasta 6 machine without the LO.

RAGIII

Thanks Rick for scoping it out.  I look forward to seeing your Kirschstein build. 
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 11:16:35 AM »
I am having problems with some of the photos, but from the pair that I can see that is a first class model. I do like the stripes - but I bet they tested your patience to paint. The base really sets off an excellent model.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen for looking and your comments on the build.  Odd that you could see some and not the others.  Good old Photobucket.  The stripes weren't bad, just bit time consuming but once I got in a groove it went alright.  Getting the angles to match was the tricky part,  once that was overcome, the rest was, well.......childs play.  ;)
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 11:18:41 AM »
Nice one. I bet it was difficult to paint - but even more difficult to aim a gun in the heat of a dogfight! Razzle Dazzle indeed.

Thank you Macsporran for your kind comments.  Yes, Razzle Dazzle indeed.  As mentioned once I got the angles adjusted it went pretty smooth.
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 11:19:51 AM »
Very impressive results, Mark.  I can't add anything more that hasn't already been said.  That scheme makes me buggy-eyed.

Thank you Kensar for your kind comments about the build and looking in, duly appreciated. 
Mark