Author Topic: Which pulls harder?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline smperry

Which pulls harder?
« on: July 31, 2020, 10:13:02 AM »
Rick mentioning that he was intending to use heat stretched sprue to rig his 3 lovely Spads got me thinking. Which pulls harder, HSP or 2 lb monofilament?

I am about to rig the tailplane on my paper card model Short 184 and suddenly that becomes a pertinent question. I have a digital soldering iron that is quite adjustable as far as temp goes. I have mostly used it on mono and by trial and a few errors I found a setting that rather slowly tightens a run of rigging. The couple of times I used it on HSP, it worked similarly. However the art of heat shrinking a run of rigging is not a science and occasionally the run snaps taught quickly. I am worried that that might be more than a paper tailplane can withstand without bending. Anyone know or have a good guess which rigging material  tends to pull harder?

I can always cut the run and make another or at worst, print and make a new tailplane, but I thought it best to ask in case someone had some definite opinions.
TIA
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline eclarson

Re: Which pulls harder?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 12:21:25 AM »
Rick mentioning that he was intending to use heat stretched sprue to rig his 3 lovely Spads got me thinking. Which pulls harder, HSP or 2 lb monofilament?

I am about to rig the tailplane on my paper card model Short 184 and suddenly that becomes a pertinent question. I have a digital soldering iron that is quite adjustable as far as temp goes. I have mostly used it on mono and by trial and a few errors I found a setting that rather slowly tightens a run of rigging. The couple of times I used it on HSP, it worked similarly. However the art of heat shrinking a run of rigging is not a science and occasionally the run snaps taught quickly. I am worried that that might be more than a paper tailplane can withstand without bending. Anyone know or have a good guess which rigging material  tends to pull harder?

I can always cut the run and make another or at worst, print and make a new tailplane, but I thought it best to ask in case someone had some definite opinions.
TIA
sp

For your paper model I think your best choice would be stretched sprue.  It's lighter and heat-shrinks more efficiently than nylon line.   Heat shrinking mono line works but only if it's just slightly slack.

HTH

Eric

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 10:56:02 AM »
What about Uschi line ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 12:40:58 PM »
Thanks Eric and  Terri.

I tried both mono and HSP. On small runs there isn't any real difference I can tell.

Uh, what is Uschi Line?

I'm running out of mono, but I have a whole box of sprue pieces and this bird is going to eat up a lot of rigging, so it's HSP for this one.

Thanks again
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 01:48:13 PM »
Sorry SP , forgot the link . Just scroll down a bit . It's any elastic rigging thread in 3 sizes . I use standard and fine .

https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-categories/shop-rigging-and-various/

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »
Thank you Terri. I will check it out. I usually shy away from elastic rigging on the theory that like gravity, the pull is constant and it always wins in the end. This one won't be my last paper card model, so I will have to eventually give it a try.
sp