Author Topic: A day of surprizes  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
A day of surprizes
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:53:36 AM »
Today is one of those days were I'm grateful of the kindness of others and knowing really great people . A week ago I had to take my bike in for bearing repair in my rear suspension , bike shop tells me it can't be repaired damage is to extensive can't get new part . While I was a little upset over this my bike is only 7 years old ...It's not that old ! Will have to re-bore and this is going to cost thousands the shop manager tells me . So I started phoning around talking to machinist shops and the cost is between 500 - 600 maybe less  and includes re-surfacing with the same alum ! So I will be going this route . Hard to believe the 16 bucks work of bearings caused a world of issues . I mention to my boss about this issue with my bike ( he rides to , but road ) He called his one friend who owns a bike shop and is a Cannondale Dealer for over 25 years ....Well as it it tuned out he has a 2009 model of my bike ( my is a 2013 ) The rear triangle is inter change able .  :) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D The bike is pretty much brand new has only been ridden a few times . The hole bike for 600 bucks !

I will still get my fixed , it's custom and cost of this bike is to much to toss to the curb over a set of 16 dollar bearings . But this has opened up a few options for me as well so I'm very very happy !!! I just want to go around and start hugging people !!!!

You get a hug !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

Re: A day of surprizes
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 01:09:32 PM »
Glad to hear you got a deal you can live with. Little things ruining something beloved is always a bummer and acts of kindness that make it better are always super sweet.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline LuckyLuke

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 07:52:37 PM »
I totally get that feeling. Elated and warm inside at the same time.
When last week a WNW Felixstowe F.2A arrived, never thought I would be able to own one, I felt like a 10 year old boy again.
And thanks for the hug  :)
Luke

Offline Radarman

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:54:53 PM »
Terri,
Great to hear this situation is working out to a happy end. We all have our "Lucky Stars", they just
show up when least expected. Enjoy your new ride.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 03:18:59 AM »
Gotta keep that bike going!  Nice that that all worked out for you.

I break mine down every 2-3 years for re-lubrication and inspection.  Fortunately, I can do all the work myself (except welding or build a frame) and never have a shop work on any of my bikes.  I also build my own wheels.  Fun stuff!

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 04:52:08 AM »
Hi Terri! Great to hear this worked out so well! You do need a spare bike... My Fuji Team SL road bike went for 10 years without major repairs, but due to recent stuff is laid up, and I don't mind spending money on getting it going! Everything wears out, I suppose... Anyway, enjoy the ride! Regards, Marc.

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 05:26:05 AM »
You're luckier than me.  I had my Trek Madone stolen from my garage and don't have the money to replace it.  Luckily I still have my 1984 Colnago to ride.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 11:29:11 AM »
I'm excited and just waiting for the final details .

I do most of my own work myself if I have the tools for the job , or if I'm lazzzzzzy  ;) i have another bike build on the go . 2009 Gary Fisher Piranha . Only items left to get or a set of disk brakes and a chain . My goal with this build is this is the one I will ride to and form work and being out and about . When I want to ride the trails in the river valley will have a play toy for that ! I tried a road bike once and really didn't care for it all that much . I wouldn't mind trying one of those fat bikes

It sucks having your bike stolen . My Rocky Mountain frame was stolen from the back seat of my car . Smashed the window . They didn't get my rim set , those were in the trunk .

Luke , hope that 10 year old boy feeling last awhile for you .

Ken , I will keep her going no matter the out come . The cost of getting the repairs done on my own is a lot less on buying a new bike , something I'm not into .

Thanks guys for dropping by and hearing about a positive  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 10:53:18 AM »
I'm starting to believe that all of the kindness and positive energy of this site is returning that kindness . First deal ended being a no go , but after minutes my boss found a front triangle with shock link ans SEAT STAYS !! on ebay for 90 bucks US . They are on their way to me as I type this . My bike still gets fix will have a spare shock link and for a hell of a lot less cash  :) I sill still get my part re-bored and surface and that will go back on the bike and have a spare if this ever happens again .

Thanks guys for spreading the positive energy  :) :) :) :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline LuckyLuke

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 08:08:58 PM »
I'm starting to believe that all of the kindness and positive energy of this site is returning that kindness . First deal ended being a no go , but after minutes my boss found a front triangle with shock link ans SEAT STAYS !! on ebay for 90 bucks US . They are on their way to me as I type this . My bike still gets fix will have a spare shock link and for a hell of a lot less cash  :) I sill still get my part re-bored and surface and that will go back on the bike and have a spare if this ever happens again .

Thanks guys for spreading the positive energy  :) :) :) :)

Terri

I knew that my dancing in the rain with, in each hand, a dowsing rod would help  ;D  ;D

Luke

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 09:22:40 PM »
Just an up-date on this .....MY BIKE IS FIXED !

Part came in yesterday , and I'm back to riding and boy did I miss it .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline kensar

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 10:01:16 PM »
 :D

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 11:17:09 PM »
Thanks Ken , first day back riding was great until I was on my way home.... I got a flat !!!

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 02:46:41 AM »
I'm coming to this thread pretty late, but this is a nice story, with a happy ending.

But now I'm thinking about the underlying bearing problem and wondering how/why the bike is not made to easily swap out bearings!  And I guess this is a Cannondale?  Good bikes!

Offline kensar

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 12:43:03 AM »
Apparently bike mfgs think cheap bearings never wear out!  At least they don't worry about changing them.