Author Topic: Import taxes  (Read 2195 times)

Offline LuckyLuke

Import taxes
« on: July 23, 2020, 09:02:03 AM »
Does anybody has any idea if you need to pay import taxes buying from Canada into Belgium (EU) ?
I've searched the web but my results where inconclusive.
Any help is appreciated.

Luke

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Import taxes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 10:04:43 AM »
Depends on what you are ordering and the cost , also the free trade agreement with that country and where the items are made . I order items all the time out of the EU and have never paid duty , but I keep it under 200 bucks .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline yaggo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:15:09 PM »
Depends on what you are ordering and the cost , also the free trade agreement with that country and where the items are made . I order items all the time out of the EU and have never paid duty , but I keep it under 200 bucks .

Terri

Then you are the luckiest men on earth ;D

Offline ermeio

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 12:37:27 AM »
Does anybody has any idea if you need to pay import taxes buying from Canada into Belgium (EU) ?
I've searched the web but my results where inconclusive.
Any help is appreciated.

Luke

Usually yes, VAT plus customs - something like 23% plus 5€
The threshold is around 30 euro... low-value items do not undergo the taxation.
At times some items arriving through express delivery couriers do not undergo taxation - If you buy through ebay you can have taxation applied together with shipping, so you will see that the shipping fees are high and they increase while your bid increases, but that means that they will pay your taxes and you will not be taxed when a Felixstowe is at your door

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »

Terri

I guess if I was a man I would be , but I'm not man ...even went into the washroom to double check . You had me scared there  ;)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline yaggo

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »

Terri

I guess if I was a man I would be , but I'm not man ...even went into the washroom to double check . You had me scared there  ;)
OOPS my sorry didn,t know :-[ :-[

Offline LuckyLuke

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 06:21:57 PM »

Terri

A person of the female gender who builds WWI model airplanes and has a sense of humor ... will you marry me !!?  :D

BTW thanks all who chipped in with answers, it is going to be (too) expensive. The extra cost is +/- 35%-40%, in my case, from 192 € to 320 €, (shipping alone is already 50€). That is too much. Pity  :(

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 06:25:22 PM »
Doesn't help folks living in Canada, but my recent purchase from MBK in Germany came to about UK £292 when converted from Euros.  As I'm in the UK and still in the EU for VAT purposes (until Jan 1 2021 but that's another story not for here!) the VAT was included in the price.

Now if I had been able to buy the same kits from WNW shipped from NZ, at today's exchange rate, when I add the VAT paid on arrival in the UK the price worked out at £289 - but that's without the "release fee" a courier may charge - although as one delivery there may have only been one charge, which I think had been around £8.

So in theory I "saved" around £5 - in reality I'd consider this the same price.

Perhaps the import taxes you pay in Canada are offset by the VAT you don't pay at source?  But it's the shipping that could be the issue...

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 12:02:07 AM »
Ian,
    In my personal experience import taxes in Canada are a "hit or miss" factor on hobby items, happily mostly "miss". The one most consistent extra charge I have experienced is when the shipping from the USA is done by a Courier Service in lieu of the USPS and an "Import Broker Fee" is sometimes incurred at the border. The biggest factor is the shipping (read postal ) fees which make many transactions prohibitive. That factor combined with currency exchange rates have driven me to shop mostly Canadian sources with the exception of the UK which still offers a reasonable deal on availability and price. The Canadian system is, at best, inconsistent. I once had a huge "Duty Fee" imposed on a Kit from Wingnut Wings in NZ when my wife picked up the parcel that all but doubled the price of the Kit, I would have refused it. That was the only one of more then a dozen purchased directly from the company that incurred an extra charge.
   Those days of free shipping by WNW are a fond memory. Many orders are now priced below the cost of the postage to get them here.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 12:22:14 AM »
In the early days of WNW we got the occasional parcel from NZ slip through without charging the VAT on import nor courier fees.

But not often.  So as soon as they started to sell via Hannants I calculated the UK £ price for importing from NZ including all the extra costs, vs Hannants, and the difference was negligible due to the £ dropping against the US$.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 09:26:54 AM »
No reason to be sorry sir , you are not the first and won't be the last , like I said you really had me scared . I was thinking my folks could have be lying too me all these years  ;) Glad to have you as part of our family  ;)

Luke , you know it would end in divorce and I will get all your WNW kits and any new ones you buy in the future  ;)

I haven't order anything from the States in a long time and when sellers stop sending to Canada I just don't bother anymore . I have order out of AU and have had to pay duty . Like lance I mostly order Within Canada or the UK . Main shop is Hannant's . I bought one WNW kit direct from them and didn't have to pay duty on that , all my other ones are from shops here in Canada .

Terri
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:50:00 AM by Terri »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline jknaus

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 03:37:30 AM »
I sent some stuff to a friend in Belgium a few years ago as a gift and they ended up paying a fair amount for customs. That kind of annoyed me as it was a gift and they should not have had to pay.
James

Offline LuckyLuke

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 11:01:04 PM »

Terri, could be but I bet we would have had a great time, think of all the models we would have made !  ;) ( and for the WnW kits, all 30 of them, I wouldn't mind, at least they went to someone who knew how to handle them and would appreciate them ! )

James, bummer, there goes my " alternative solution"... :( I will have to think long and hard if an AEG G.IV is worth it... :-\

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
There would be much troubles and a feeling will always be on the run  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch