Author Topic: Junkers J.9/II (D.I) long fuselage  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Black Max 72

Junkers J.9/II (D.I) long fuselage
« on: July 09, 2020, 03:23:07 PM »
Hi Guys

I'm planning on doing my Roden 1/48 Junkers D.I long fuselage as one of the pre-production prototypes, the J.9/II shown in this picture taken at Aldershof in 1918. I have a few questions regarding the markings shown on this particular aircraft. I've been looking at this picture for a while and I would appreciate some fresh eyes and input just to make sure I'm not misinterpreting the markings, and yes I am aware before anyone asks that this particular aircraft also had a greater wingspan than the other D.Is but it doesn't appear all that noticeable in the photo so I am just going to go OOB with it. Anyway from what I'm seeing it appears that this aircraft is bare metal, there does appear to be some marks on the fuselage but they don't appear to correspond with the normal camo that was applied to the D.Is and I can't see any on the top of the fuselage, I've been taking them to be rain marks. There also appears to be a lot of reflection coming off the wings and tail which seems to suggest bare metal but I'm open to other interpretations. Next is the insignia which seems to be an odd mix of styles, the fuselage and rudder crosses seem to be the thicker crosses from earlier in 1918 and the wing crosses seem to my eye to be the clipped horizontal bar type (crucifix style?) seen on some of the Fokker D.VIIs and Albatros D.Va as the tips of the horizontal bar don't seem to be in line with the edge of the aileron in fact they appear to be short, the vertical bar also don't extend on to the ailerons, now is this all an opticle illusion? After playing around in Photoshop with a D.I plan and some late war german crosses and trying to match them to the photo I couldn't get them to fit like they do in the photo short of clipping the horizontal bar. I thought it may have to do with the larger wingspan of this aircraft, but to be honest, to my eye it doesn't look any different to a normal D.I. Anyway I definitely think I've been staring at this picture for far too long! Any help would be appreciated. The original Hi-res image is on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_D.I#/media/File:Junkers_D.I_German_First_World_War_all-metal_fighter.jpg

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline rsanz

Re: Junkers J.9/II (D.I) long fuselage
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »
Hi Guys

I'm planning on doing my Roden 1/48 Junkers D.I long fuselage as one of the pre-production prototypes, the J.9/II shown in this picture taken at Aldershof in 1918. I have a few questions regarding the markings shown on this particular aircraft. I've been looking at this picture for a while and I would appreciate some fresh eyes and input just to make sure I'm not misinterpreting the markings, and yes I am aware before anyone asks that this particular aircraft also had a greater wingspan than the other D.Is but it doesn't appear all that noticeable in the photo so I am just going to go OOB with it. Anyway from what I'm seeing it appears that this aircraft is bare metal, there does appear to be some marks on the fuselage but they don't appear to correspond with the normal camo that was applied to the D.Is and I can't see any on the top of the fuselage, I've been taking them to be rain marks. There also appears to be a lot of reflection coming off the wings and tail which seems to suggest bare metal but I'm open to other interpretations. Next is the insignia which seems to be an odd mix of styles, the fuselage and rudder crosses seem to be the thicker crosses from earlier in 1918 and the wing crosses seem to my eye to be the clipped horizontal bar type (crucifix style?) seen on some of the Fokker D.VIIs and Albatros D.Va as the tips of the horizontal bar don't seem to be in line with the edge of the aileron in fact they appear to be short, the vertical bar also don't extend on to the ailerons, now is this all an opticle illusion? After playing around in Photoshop with a D.I plan and some late war german crosses and trying to match them to the photo I couldn't get them to fit like they do in the photo short of clipping the horizontal bar. I thought it may have to do with the larger wingspan of this aircraft, but to be honest, to my eye it doesn't look any different to a normal D.I. Anyway I definitely think I've been staring at this picture for far too long! Any help would be appreciated. The original Hi-res image is on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_D.I#/media/File:Junkers_D.I_German_First_World_War_all-metal_fighter.jpg

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

A 2nd opinion here (and below);
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3180&cat=4

Offline Black Max 72

Re: Junkers J.9/II (D.I) long fuselage
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 09:09:17 AM »
aah, I'm an idiot  ::) I had the answer all along, I've got the PDF of the WNW Junkers D.I instructions on my computer and I've looked at it several times but obviously without really reading it maybe I should learn to pay more attention. It pretty much confirms my interpretations. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD