Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Spad VII build problems - is it just me?  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Epeeman

Roden 1/32 Spad VII build problems - is it just me?
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:58:12 AM »
All,

I'm currently about three weeks into building the 'lafayette' version of this kit and have been experiencing a lot fit issues so far.

For me, this seems to be the most fiddly, awkward model I have built thus far.   Nothing seems to fit at all.  I have got to the point  of getting cockpit, fuselage, lower wing and tailplane together.   Roden's are always fiddly, but this one seems to requires a lot of work fitting together followed by a fair amount of tidying up afterwards.   Worst bits (that do not fit at all) have been the cowling (upper and lower sections) seat support structure, lower wing and now the tailplane fin.   

In all, very frustrating.

All models (including WNW) require a certain amount of trimming and filing to get tidy fit but this one is really hard work - very disappointing as I was really keen to build this one.  Is it just my lack of model building experience or have others had similar problems with this one?  Does it get a bit easier from this point?

I am therefore very keen to hear what others have experienced with this kit.

Thanks!

Dave

Des - apologies if I have put this topic in the wrong forum but seemed the nearest to what I needed.

As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Roden 1/32 Spad VII build problems - is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 06:52:23 AM »
You have put this in the right place Dave, I hope you get some answers to your problems.

I have built most of the Roden 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft models and did not experience what you are going through, this is very unusual for Roden as most of their work is pretty good, not perfect but good all the same. I built two of the Roden Spad VII and found them to be excellent kits, a full build log can be found here  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page18.html  where it shows what I did with the kit, you will also notice that I commented on how well all the parts fitted. Every now and then there is a dud kit produced, maybe you have been unlucky enough to have ended up with it.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:07:37 AM »
  Dave,
 The fit issue I'm aware of is the impossible fit of the cowl over the Hisso. Rags also build this kit sometime ago,perhap a PM to him would help a bit more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »
Thanks, gents -

Des - thank you.  I have been looking at your build log (followed your tip on drilling out all the louvres to improve look around cowling) of this one prior to starting mine and undertook a bit research on the web (I always do this before embarking on any project to be aware of any potential pitfalls) and discovered that cowling will not fit if installing full engine (thank you Gregory).  I therefore left off much of the engine as possible.
I also like Roden kits - but I always expect a fiddly build especially getting interior detail together with the odd fit problem area - although they have always built up well in the end.
This one though (so far) has been a real struggle - getting the lower wing on was a right pain in the you-know-where.  I'm just glad I got this kit in a sale as I would be pretty unhappy paying full price (around £50 here in UK) to put up with problems like these.  Looking forward to receiving my WNW order now!
Hopefully, I can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel as I am pretty certain I am now over the worse.  Perhaps, as you say I have a 'lemon' kit.
Any other thoughts folks?

Cheers!

Dave

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:59:28 AM »
  Dave,
So wheres' the in progress photos fella? Nah just kidding but I am looking forward to seeing what you've up to the last three weeks. But honestly no pressure my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:33:41 AM »
Hello, Gregory -

I wondered if I might get asked this ..............

I'll be totally honest, I feel embarrassed with this (I'm mainly an OOB kit builder who only brush paints my models) when comparing my efforts against the works of art on display on this forum built by those who really know what they are doing - silly I know!!

But OK, you have persuaded me, mate.

I'll put some pictures in and start a (albeit late) progress build report thread - watch this space .......

Best regards

Dave

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:31:04 AM »
Your frustration appears to be balanced with a successful build all the same based on what Ive seen in the build log.

Steve

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:07:40 PM »
Hello, Gregory -

I'll be totally honest, I feel embarrassed with this (I'm mainly an OOB kit builder who only brush paints my models) when comparing my efforts against the works of art on display on this forum built by those who really know what they are doing - silly I know!!

I'll put some pictures in and start a (albeit late) progress build report thread - watch this space .......

Best regards

Dave

Dave,
Heck man you've got nothing to be embarressed about my old friend. Sure not all are in the same level of skill and craftsmanship. But you need to remember two things,one we all start off as newbies and two even Rembrant started out drawing stick figures only to became one of the Master's of his art.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »
Hello, Gregory -

Best regards

Dave
Dave!  Are you kidding me, mate.  Each model of yours that I've seen is a work of art and the fact that you do such amazing work with a brush is even more brilliant.  I'm a great admirer of your work.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 01:45:53 AM »
I'll pile on with Bud and Gregory and encourage you to post a build thread. I know that I would benefit from seeing how you do your brushwork as I've been known to struggle in that regard.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 05:03:43 AM »
Gregory, Bud, Steve and Chris -

Thank you all for your words of encouragement - really appreciated, actually.

Regarding the Spad build, I have a feeling I may be over the worst now, so am hoping for some steady progress.  I'm out fencing tonight so will continue (hopefully) tomorrow evening.

Best regards

Dave

Offline Jim52

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 05:38:07 AM »
I could use a new DVR while you're at it! ::)  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jim