Author Topic: How many pinwash rib tapes?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline GazzaS

How many pinwash rib tapes?
« on: July 06, 2020, 06:59:54 PM »
I feel like I should do more to my wings than spatter some dirt on the bottom and add oil streaks where applicable.  So, as the questions asks...  how many pinwash rib tapes or do other stuff up top?
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Europapete

Re: How many pinwash rib tapes?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 10:47:43 PM »
I am playing with different effects possible with Aviattics' decals atm. None on an actual model yet, but rather on test cards and a painting mule. ( Roden 1/32 DH2). By using a light base, usually white tan or grey, and a light shading of smoke or other highly thinned tone, one can achieve a wide variety of finishes. Also vary the base colour too, to give highlights and shadows of the fabric.  Regards, Pete in RI.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 11:38:15 PM »
Gaz,
     I like to use a thinned pre-shade of dark grey over the masked rib tapes with Aviattic's clear decal paper backed Lozenge. The challenge is to keep it diffused and not too stark. I have used post shading with pastels however I don't like the results nearly as much as the former method.
     In the following case I haven't masked the ribs as they are defined with the pink rib tapes (Photo below), the completed and pre-sprayed sections illustrate the effect. This is my personal preference FWIW!

Hope this might at least provide you with an option to try.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 07:16:30 AM »
Lance, the effects look good.  I ended up not doing  anything to the rib tapes of my D.VII.  As the WNW lozenge is white backed, I was considering some effect.  But I'm kind of glad I didn't.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 09:52:37 PM »
I found the subject of rib tapes quite interesting when I began to make WWI aircraft models.

I saw several excellent examples of pre or post shading used to show rib “shadows” when light passes through the wings, but when I saw replica or renovated aircraft inside museums I saw a different effect.  This was that where the rib tapes sit, or where the song covering lies over a rib, the extra “stretch” makes the rib area slightly glossier.  I can’t say that is true for all types but i saw it particularly on British types.

I achieve this on a model by applying Klear to the painted wing, (then add decals, and seal with klear again where necessary) thus achieving the glossier affect.  Then I mask the rib tapes and spray with satin varnish.  At this point it is possible also to use pastels to apply some shading either side of the tapes.  Then when the masking is removed you get the contrast between the duller/dirtier and glossier areas.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 10:22:13 PM »
I have done both pre-shade and post shade on the rib tapes. I read somewhere that someone suggested using a gloss coat on the wings and when dry, put some masking tape over the rib and spraying a flat coat and using a pin wash along the ribs. The pictures they posted showed a very nice subtle effect. While the shading effect has become the accepted norm it appears that the more garish it is the better the look (kind of like the extravagant panel shading on modern aircraft). Reminds me of the change in propeller painting; from thin stripes of contrasting paint to the flourished laminations. The real wood props have definitely taken it to another level.

Offline aircare84

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 06:00:20 AM »
I tried a post shading with the Dolphin I just finished. Still needs some tweaking yet.
I also usually do some shading under the Aviattic decals like Lance shows.