Author Topic: Lee Richards annular monoplane  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Berman

Lee Richards annular monoplane
« on: July 02, 2020, 11:48:03 AM »
Today, I ordered a 1/48th scale Lee Richards kit produced by Avis. The buy it now price, on EBay, was $22 USD plus reasonable shipping from Ukraine. There is also a 1/72nd scale version available. These kits are limited editions of only five hundred each which is very strange for an injection styrene plastic molded kit.

Bughunter

Re: Lee Richards annular monoplane
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 01:07:05 AM »
Yes, mice arrived some weeks ago. Seems to be a nice shortrun kit!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline ermeio

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 07:48:53 AM »
1/48?
I had heard only of 1/72... I will pick it
thanks for sharing the news

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 03:59:28 PM »
The 1/72 kit was the first release 2019. This year a 1/48 followed, the first 1/48 kit by AviS.
Both kits are limited to 500.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 01:24:43 AM »
There is even a detail set for it available, saw this in the Hannants news letter.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TWC48057?result-token=WoLCf

don't know hoe usefull it is, certainly the engine is of not much use, as it is fully enclosed? but maybe the the landing gear parts an d prop are usefull.

looking forward to a indept unboxing and/or a build log, very interesting subject indeed!!

Offline Berman

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 01:56:27 AM »
 That detail set is more than I paid for the Lee Richards kit. I did see one basic build online of a 1/72ns scale kit. One important note is that you must add weight to the nose to prevent a tail sitter.
 Frank, I hope that you post a masterly build of this kit.

Bughunter

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 02:06:35 AM »
@hiddeous1973
Thanks for the hint!

Hmm, it is not on the homepage of the producer and not listed at scalemates yet, so I don't know what is really in.
But according to the Hannants picture:
  • The airscrew on mine will be made by wood.
  • I will use a rotary engine from Small Stuff
  • 3D printed landing gear? I will made a more robust brass one.
So I don't need it, I think ;)

@Berman: there will be a build report, but it will take some time until I'm able to start this.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Berman

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 02:34:51 AM »
 Looking at Bing images of Lee Richards variants, I think the builder used the same aircraft with modified tail surfaces. It appears the first version was completely circular with a minimum surface area elevator and rounded rudder. The second version had outer elevators with an upper horizontal stabilizer and rounded rudder. The kit represents the final third version.   There was a completely different proof of concept annular glider. There are front and rear photos of this glider on Bing images. The lower wing was circular with a different upper wing.
  I have only seen drawings online of the third version. If anyone has drawings of the other variants, please post them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 02:55:51 AM by Berman »

Bughunter

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 03:12:34 AM »
There was also a biplane ;D
Here is linked a picture of a biplane replica: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Richards_annular_monoplane
The german page has other pictures: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Richards_Annular_Monoplane

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Berman

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 06:15:06 AM »
 There was a two part magazine article published on various Lee Richard aircraft in Aeroplane Monthly dated September 1976 and October 1976. Maybe a member who has those issues could post that article. I am not sure if a forty four year old magazine is still protected by copyright law.