Author Topic: Gotha G IV sale dilemma...  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Tony Haycock

Gotha G IV sale dilemma...
« on: July 02, 2020, 09:57:51 AM »
Sitting on a shelf I have a pure, virginal and never opened WNW Gotha G IV. I bought it because I wanted one, and the intent was to build it, after improving very modest skills on some smaller kits.

To support my habit I am a travel agent and I take small groups to motorsport events in Australia and Europe. With the arrival of COVID19 I haven't been paid since March and who knows when I'll next see any income...

I see some of the crazy prices people are paying for Gothas, and when you convert that from USD to NZD it's even more crazy....

The sensible thing is to put it on Ebay and see what happens... but I never bought this(or any other models) to make a profit from, and its not really the done thing in a hobby like ours... but the Ebay sales are running at close to NZD$1000.00 and that could be quite useful right now.   and then there's the RE8...

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Gotha G IV sale dilemma...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 01:57:11 PM »
Hi Tony... I think quite a few people would share your sentiments right now especially as it's most unlikely we will see the Gotha G.IV reissued.

The big issue for those who have the kit is whether they can bring themselves to make it now, given the crazy prices it's fetching, or do they sell it off to put food on the table?

For buyers who fork out $1000 for a model kit, could they ever make it or are these kits now doomed to wander in model eternity as trading commodities only? That could apply to quite a number of Wingnut kits.

In any normal year I'd say sell the kit and replace it later but this is 2020 and nothing makes any sense now. If money's tight you have a box full of lost income sitting on a shelf doing nothing.

cheers

Dave Wilson ( ex Christchurch)
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »
Tony,
 If it's a toss up between the hobby or food on the table the Gotha has got to go!
Whatever you decide, good luck and above all I hope your situation improves ASAP.

All the best,
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »
Hi Tony... I think quite a few people would share your sentiments right now especially as it's most unlikely we will see the Gotha G.IV reissued.

The big issue for those who have the kit is whether they can bring themselves to make it now, given the crazy prices it's fetching, or do they sell it off to put food on the table?

For buyers who fork out $1000 for a model kit, could they ever make it or are these kits now doomed to wander in model eternity as trading commodities only? That could apply to quite a number of Wingnut kits.

In any normal year I'd say sell the kit and replace it later but this is 2020 and nothing makes any sense now. If money's tight you have a box full of lost income sitting on a shelf doing nothing.

cheers

Dave Wilson ( ex Christchurch)
Gold Coast
Australia

Thanks Dave, good sense!

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 05:19:39 PM »
Tony,
 If it's a toss up between the hobby or food on the table the Gotha has got to go!
Whatever you decide, good luck and above all I hope your situation improves ASAP.

All the best,
Bob  ;)

Thank you Bob! I'm sure things will improve, but it won't be overnight. In the meantime the Albatros DV whkch i ordered just as WNW shut the doors has arrived, paid for by an old car friend. It's getting Pheon's Joesf Mai decals as his uncle was Mai's first victory, so I'll be ordering some of your fine product soon :) 

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 05:28:16 PM »
Tony,

All the best,
Bob  ;)

I totally agree, but hope it's not such an extreme need. I wish you can keep your Gotha as it's already a piece of history in model making and you can soon building it, looking behind and seeing these bad times as a storm you've been safely crossing despite turbulence. All the best!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Fokkerfighter

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 12:02:58 AM »
Tony,
   I understand the predicament. I have only acquired WNW kits I want to build, and none for speculation purposes.  That said, if you can make that much, it becomes a consideration. There are always going to be people that can afford it, and once it is shipped, it's theirs to do with as they want. Not trying to be pedantic, but I'm shifting my philosophy as well.

Dekenba1

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 07:18:34 AM »
Sell it!!

It's a plastic model aeroplane kit. No more than that.

The kind of money they sell for makes it madness not to sell. With the money you get, you can buy plenty of models to replace it, enhancing your enjoyment.

Plus, every time you look at it after you built it, you'll think "$600 - not sure I got $600 of enjoyment out of that"

In addition, I personally believe 100% - thanks to good old capitalism - that we will see the Gotha kitted again. Not by WNW, but by whomever buys the moulds & IP.

The things sell for ridiculous amounts. It has somehow obtained mythical status. A short-run, priced competitively, would sell well.

It won't happen for a good while, but it really is inevitable, especially as technology reduces moulding costs. After all, the moulds are just sat there, doing nothing - that benefits nobody whatsoever.

Offline Dave J

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
End of the day Tony the big question is... Are you going to build it? You really need to think long and hard about it. The amount of time and space where you are going to store once completed...

I did the same and I sold the Gotha that I had in my pile. I got over NZ$1000 for it, and I don't miss it. It brought me a few more kits and 4 days stay in Taupo post lockdown.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline crouthaj

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 12:36:09 PM »
I think the original Erasmus quote actually went: "When I get a little money I buy models. If there is any left I buy food and clothes."

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 11:03:34 PM »
if it's a question of making ends meet, sell the Gotha and get the best price you can. if, on the other hand, you're profoundly attached to the Gotha and would weep over it after ends have met, keep it.

selling it at a discount is only a good option if you're not under financial pressure. sometimes a hobby has to give back to real life...

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 08:23:23 PM »
End of the day Tony the big question is... Are you going to build it? You really need to think long and hard about it. The amount of time and space where you are going to store once completed...

I did the same and I sold the Gotha that I had in my pile. I got over NZ$1000 for it, and I don't miss it. It brought me a few more kits and 4 days stay in Taupo post lockdown.

Very pertinent questions and not easy to answer. Do I want to build it? Hell yes. Have i got anywhere to put it? Hell no. Have I got other models on the shelf to keep me occupied? Yep, a few... Today is payday. I got a bill for $90.00, and I count myself lucky it's that low. next month will be worse. So that possible $1000.00 for a model aeroplane is looking quite appealing right now. I assume you sold yours on ebay?

Offline Dave J

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 09:07:20 AM »

Very pertinent questions and not easy to answer. Do I want to build it? Hell yes. Have i got anywhere to put it? Hell no. Have I got other models on the shelf to keep me occupied? Yep, a few... Today is payday. I got a bill for $90.00, and I count myself lucky it's that low. next month will be worse. So that possible $1000.00 for a model aeroplane is looking quite appealing right now. I assume you sold yours on ebay?

Yes I sold mine on the UK Ebay site, but allowed international bidders. My only reasoning to go with the UK site over the US, was the exchange rate from the Pound to Kiwi, was way better than the greenback.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 04:13:52 PM »

Yes I sold mine on the UK Ebay site, but allowed international bidders. My only reasoning to go with the UK site over the US, was the exchange rate from the Pound to Kiwi, was way better than the greenback.

It's done... and I am no longer feeling guilty about it... as I look at the RE8, FE2, SE5 and Brisfit on the shelf beside it... The FEE and Harry Tate are safe at the moment is I have flown in both of them so the kits have meaning. the other two however may yet have to become groceries and the power bill...

Offline smperry

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 09:52:37 PM »
Tony
Do tell about your rides in the Fee and the RE.8. Did you get any photos?

You aren't the only one to have sold an expensive kit out of necessity. I was forced to sell a 1/4 scale Fokker D.VII. It hurts, but first things first and you you do what you must.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.