Author Topic: Tamiya Clear Colours  (Read 1107 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Tamiya Clear Colours
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:00:44 AM »
I have used these colours for small detail work but I have never used them on larger surfaces. I notice some use the clear orange as an over coat on the natural wood surfaces. How do you apply it? If by airbrush what do you thin it with?

Steve

Offline drdave

Re: Tamiya Clear Colours
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:12:22 AM »
Its fine straight but dusted on gives a matt finish. I add a bit of cellulose thinner ( alcohol) and I tried isopropyl and it worked fine. I clean the brush with Cellulose thinners after. Its good stuff. Gunze is the same. Try red/yellow to your own mix. The blue is stunning over alclad for cowlings, red too. Real depth.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »
Steve,
    I use the Clear Yellow and Orange a lot, gives a great "tone" to wood grain surfaces and the orange really does a great job on props, both hand carved/stained and the kit supplied ones. I use the Tamiya X20A Thinner.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gcn

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:57:27 PM »
I use all the clear colours dependant upon what hue I'm trying to achieve. I will also mix the colours together if needed ( wood is normally 3parts orange to 1 part yellow) and thin with either the tamiya thinners, gunze thinners or cellulose thinner I also add a couple of drops of tamiya clear to gloss it up.

I have added a couple of drops to Future before and brush painted it when I couldn't be bothered to fire up the AB.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 10:48:01 PM »
  Steve,
I've done like most who have replied to your question. I  thin with the Tamiya thinner to a thin mixture of paint to thinner and airbrush in light coats.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:59:05 PM »
I brush mine on exclusively Steve, and as Lance wrote, I also thin it a bit with Tamiya's thinner. I just plunk a brush load into my palette and add thinner with my brush until it looks and feels right. Very, very scientific approach, eh?  ;D

As with all Tamiya paints though, once you lay it down, don't go over it with the brush again. Wait until it's dry and add a second coat if necessary.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 12:21:48 AM »
Forgot to mention, Steve, that I too thin it down (same informed, totally scientific and quality controlled method as Chris) and use a brush.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:03 AM »
The Vallejo colored clears are nice also. They brush superbly and dry matte/flat.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:31:11 AM »
Question: do those of you that apply clear as described above use it like a filter? Or is it just too opaque to give a subtle blending of colours like a filter is supposed to do?

Thanks,

Lindsay

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:41:53 AM »
  Lindsay,
               I think it is like a filter depending how much you build it up over the underlying paint. Thats really part of my question too.One more thinner question cellulose=laquer thinner? I always get those crossed up. Also, spraying will result in a flat finish unless gloss is added? I may pick up some Tamiya thinner although I use isopro99% to thin all my other Tam acrils. Does Tamiya thinners have an extra retarding quality?

Steve