Author Topic: Rickenbacker SPAD question  (Read 1791 times)

Offline RAGIII

Rickenbacker SPAD question
« on: June 25, 2020, 01:30:39 AM »
I asked this in My build Log but figures I would do so here also. Does anyone know or have a guess as to the dark color on the otherwise light area on the underside of the nose of Rickenbackers SPAD? Painted, Metal, etc.

RAGIII

PS: Someone elsewhere just gave Me a suggestion I hadn't thought of. Does it look like the panel was removed?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 01:38:39 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline petrov27

Re: Rickenbacker SPAD question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 01:58:59 AM »
I kinda feel the panel is present but it is hard to be 100 percent certain.

Interestingly, this museum SPAD XIII has the panel as below:

-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 02:27:56 AM »
Thanks for the input. I wonder if that coppery brass color would show up as dark as the red in the photo?
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 02:44:43 AM »
Absolutely on Orthochromatic film
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 03:45:42 AM »
Smithsonian example looks like its painted black (no idea if historically correct though they seem to have restored that SPAD to a very high standard)

-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 04:02:15 AM »
Thanks again Guys! Just for giggles another photo someone posted on FB today. The panel looks to be painted the same as the rest in this one. That doesn't mean it wasn't different in the first photo of course. It seems I have some options  8)
RAGIII

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:22:24 AM by RAGIII »

Offline petrov27

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 06:27:39 AM »
maybe that panel heats up badly when running and eventually the paint is burnt off?
-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 06:32:10 AM »
maybe that panel heats up badly when running and eventually the paint is burnt off?

I just checked the Memorial Flight SPAD and it is the same as the first one you posted, copper colored.
RAGIII

Offline ebergerud

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 08:23:37 AM »
A little factoid on Rickenbacker's Spad. I got this from a report I stumbled into while doing research at Air University (Maxwell AFB AL) in about 1995. The US Army, for obvious reasons, was not at all happy with American aircraft production during WWI and were determined to produce modern types domestically "just in case." In 1919 the US Army had Rickenbacker go to Europe and fly the most recent fighters in production and give his recommendation on which to use for "inspiration" for future developments. I can't recall whether that meant he would have flown a Fokker DVII. Anyway he recommended his old Spad XIII - he praised the ruggedness of the aircraft but his primary reason was that you couldn't beat it in a dive, and a fast dive could get you out of trouble. I have no idea whether this report had any impact on actual decision making later. But the WWII USAAF head of fighter development BG Ben Kelsey (great autobiography "The Dragon's Teeth?" still in print) discussed the great emphasis put on ruggedness by the USAAF because you had to fly from Alaska to Panama. (In 1942 Kelsey flew a Spit V around the US, and, as much as he loved the plane, considered it inferior to the P-40 for US requirements because it fickle in less than good conditions.) And, for what it's worth, every major US fighter - spare the P-38 - had excellent dive characteristics: one of the upsides of the "Detroit Iron" school of aircraft construction.
Eric 

Offline Jammed Vickers

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 11:34:31 AM »
It looks like an oil cooler.  I doubt engine oil would get hot enough to discolor copper, as in turn it dark.  Exposing copper to the elements would oxidise it as would oil from hands and sweat.
Wayne

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do.  There can be no courage unless you're scared."

Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker, 94th Pursuit Squadron, AEF