Author Topic: What examples are there in Museums?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline GazzaS

What examples are there in Museums?
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:00:20 AM »
Hello Friends!
     For a while now, I have wondered what possessed WNW to make 2 versions of the Roland D.VI.   It wasn't popular.  It didn't have great performance.  It didn't have a lot of cool color schemes.   It wasn't produced in huge numbers.  It didn't have some great innovation that changed air combat or aircraft development.  It wasn;t associated with any great ace.  and it wouldnt surpise me if it was completely unknown to many before it was released by WNW.

The other day I was researching another Roland.  The D.II.  I wanted to see if I could find enough detail shots to make a decent model.  Among my search I came upon pictures of a partial museum example of the Roland D.VI.  And I had an "ah ha!" moment.  And I realised a reason that it may have been released in model form, was because there was enough at a museum to make use of...  Unlike my hoped-for Roland D.II.

So, I was wondering:  What WWI aircraft exist in Museums throughout the world?  And I wonder how many of the planes we request to be released in large scale model form only exist in photographic form.  Is there a complete list somewhere of WWI aircraft that exist in museums?   

There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Online petrov27

Re: What examples are there in Museums?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 11:06:58 AM »
I am not aware of an online listing of WW1 surviving aircraft but Ray Rimell had/has a book that focuses on this subject:

https://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/world-war-one-survivors-1363-p.asp

-Patrick

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 01:14:24 PM »
You could try here, Gaz.  You may have to sign up to view photos, but it's free and worth the effort.  A lot of members here are also members there.
http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/index.html

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 04:31:53 PM »
Hey Bud
Thanks for the reminder, I haven't visited the old list page for ages.

I'd even forgotten I'd made a model of the Roland D.II Haifisch way back then! (Sierra vacform 1/48)
Good days, mate. Cheers.
Sandy
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 04:38:33 PM by macsporran »

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 02:29:09 AM »
Hi Gaz! I can give the South African answer to that question quite quickly... There is a beautifully restored and just about 100% authentic SE5a in the colours of Beauchamp- Proctor and a DH9 in silver and a bit converted to a trainer but still very authentic in the National War Museum, Saxonwold, Johannesburg. There are some parts of a DH6 (Clutching Hand etc) in a crate in the SAAF museum Swartkops, near Pretoria but that is it! This may be the answer for the whole of Africa! (Would liked to be prove wrong...) Regards, Marc.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 07:24:54 AM »
Hi Gaz! I can give the South African answer to that question quite quickly... There is a beautifully restored and just about 100% authentic SE5a in the colours of Beauchamp- Proctor and a DH9 in silver and a bit converted to a trainer but still very authentic in the National War Museum, Saxonwold, Johannesburg. There are some parts of a DH6 (Clutching Hand etc) in a crate in the SAAF museum Swartkops, near Pretoria but that is it! This may be the answer for the whole of Africa! (Would liked to be prove wrong...) Regards, Marc.

Monty, Thank you!

Hey Bud
Thanks for the reminder, I haven't visited the old list page for ages.

I'd even forgotten I'd made a model of the Roland D.II Haifisch way back then! (Sierra vacform 1/48)
Good days, mate. Cheers.
Sandy

That's a great looking little Roland.  I'm really hoping that a 1/32 scale kit will come about some day.  I really don;t have the fingers to rig 1/48 scale.

You could try here, Gaz.  You may have to sign up to view photos, but it's free and worth the effort.  A lot of members here are also members there.

Cheers,
Bud

Thank you, Bud!  That's a great reference!  They don't have a regular forum?

I am not aware of an online listing of WW1 surviving aircraft but Ray Rimell had/has a book that focuses on this subject:

https://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/world-war-one-survivors-1363-p.asp

Thank you Petrov.  That looks like a great reference to get hold of.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 12:00:17 PM »

Cheers,
Bud

Thank you, Bud!  That's a great reference!  They don't have a regular forum?

I'm afraid not.  It's all via email.  This was the very first WWI model group I was ever involved in.  I think it even pre-dates the Aerodrome.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline smperry

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 12:48:49 PM »
The List has a long time member who spends months at a time aboard ship and then his accrued leave visiting museums through out the world. Toss that question out there and no doubt you will get a response.
sp
Listee since '98
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 08:39:15 PM »
You know what they say... if there are no photographs it didn't really happen.. ;D Here are some really old (pre-digital era) photos of the SE5a and the only photo I could find of the DH9 in the South African Military History Museum, Saxonwold Johannesburg.. haven't been back for many years myself, but some detail shots may help builds...

More in the next post....

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 08:47:11 PM »
Some more pictures .. sorry about the quality, dark museum, no flash allowed, crowded... etc etc

I do remember sending some pics of the SE5a to Ray Rimmel - they were published in Windsock... I will have to scratch through some old photos again!

Regards and enjoy your modelling!

Marc

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 07:30:15 AM »
Those are great pics, Monty!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 08:15:04 AM »
Gaz,
    Here's a Link to the collection at our Canadian Aviation and Space Museum in the National Capital of Ottawa. I've spent many a pleasant hour there over the years, it's very well done. The WW.I Aircraft are numerous, and we have two that are the only examples left world wide, the Junkers J.1 and the AEG G.IV. I'm not sure all of the national collection is listed as some are being refurbished and not on display. Our Fokker D.VII is from the old Frank Tallman Collection and was being rebuilt from the ground up when I was able to get a close up tour of it 3 years ago. It apparently flew in the Movie "Dawn Patrol". We also have the famous "Knowlton" Fokker on display in Quebec and it's the only original condition (more or less) example left in the world. If you scroll through the "Provenance" entries of each type it'll give you a good idea of the history of each example there.

https://ingeniumcanada.org/collection-research/collection-highlights

I do recall seeing a Spad, not sure if it was a VII or a XIII parked at the back of the workshop Hangar as well.
Enjoy & Cheers,
Lance

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 02:41:39 AM »
That museum is on my bucket list, Lance! I drove past it (with tears in my eyes) on a previous visit to Canada... as Arnie said; "I will be back!" Regards, Marc.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 05:36:32 AM »
Don't miss it next time Marc, it's really well done. I've been to the USAF Museum in Dayton, the Smithsonian, and numerous less famous venues and our National one is of the same quality though not as large. There's also a Brisfit (we brought a bunch back in 1919 for the fledgling Air Force to operate), a Nieuport 17 Replica and an original Ni.12, a Shorthorn and a Snipe to name a few "all stars"! I've done at least half a dozen visits and in fact my Step Son held their Wedding Reception there, I never tire of the experience. On the downside it's a stark reminder of encroaching old age, four of the aircraft on display figure prominently in my Flying Logbook!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 06:48:03 PM »
Thanks for the info Lance! I have family in Canada living quite close.... I will wait for the post Covid-19 era! Regards, Marc.