Author Topic: Pfalz D-IIIa 1/33 Scale Papercard Model From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)  (Read 1321 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

All,

Here is my latest papercard model done and dusted...though after taking these shots, I see I forgot to add the additional bracing for each wing tip.  Dang...that will be fixed immediately.  Doesn't take away from the little model as is!  ::)

Nicely designed and colorful with Marco's re-paint, it's a delightful addition to my paper fleet.  Next time, I'd make the cabanes and interplanes a shade shorter as my top wing is a tad high.  The engine is really cool especially with the added spark plugs and wires but I do think the overall final product is more "steam punk" than accurate.  I still like it, though...Fixes were minimal but a good one was making a longer spreader bar for the landing gear.  The kit part is a bit small for 1/33rd scale and it made the Pfalz look like a walking ground loop.  The kit also did not come with (or I missed them on the sheets!) seat belts so I "borrowed" some from another Marek paper model.  I also added the spinner cover over the tip and a rear view mirror for my pilot at the top wing cut-out.  The tires are o-rings painted light grey and I also tried another turnbuckle technique that was essentially adding little bits of white glue to thicken the area on the wires that would have the buckles and then painting them brassy when dry.  It was  a good experiment.

Really, quite a wonderful build.  Thanks for looking!

Dan
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 07:34:19 AM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Re: Pfalz D-IIIa 1/33 Scale From Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »
 :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:37:09 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Online Radarman

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »
Great job Dan! That makes my Friday night complete.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 08:59:26 PM »
Top shelf build, Dan!  Might as well be a WNW Pfalz we’re looking at here.  Just lovely.  Nice choice of paint scheme, too. :D ;)

The turnbuckle experiment appears to have been successful, and I love the O-rings for wheels.  Outstanding project!  Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Bob

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 10:26:00 PM »
Another Excellent build and build log Dan! One to be proud of for sure! Mastering those complex curves in paper can't be easy but you nailed them!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 02:56:29 AM »
Your paper models are as good as any plastic or resin kits. Your skill in manipulating paper into complex curves and shapes is truly inspiring. I really admire your paper models - they are truly inspiring.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 03:42:59 AM »
I'm really impressed with how this one turned out Dan ! Pfalz stamp of approval  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 05:19:40 AM »
Thanks, Everybody!  And I got the Terri Seal of Approval!!  ;D

I shall make sure I do a better job on the next butt-joined fuselage I complete as, like Terri rightly pointed out a while ago, those seams (especially THAT one!) are an issue.  Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with it.  Looks nice next to the D-VII as a squadron mate on the piano...needed to put them on the dining room table for a shot.  I think my wife may prefer that location... :o

Cheers,
Dan

P.S.  Here is the final reveal with some nice music if you are so inclined and have 2.5 minutes to waste...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53kydiCuzt4
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:47:38 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »