Author Topic: Roland CII Color Questions  (Read 1184 times)

Offline ebergerud

Roland CII Color Questions
« on: June 09, 2020, 11:07:23 AM »
I'm starting the Eduard 1/48 Roland CII and I'm looking for a paint scheme. On my aircraft models there will be no 1.) purple 2.) Teeth - shark's, whales or anyone's; 3.) fish scales; 4.)lozenge camo. Lozenge camo is out for a Roland CII but not the others. Fortunately if you look around there appears to be a good selection of WWI Rolands that are perfectly acceptable. There are two in the WNW rendition and they'd both be interesting (a kind of pale blue - or pale yellow? - with linen underneath.) But WNW has a picture of an early Roland that looks very neat indeed. It's an early plane that was repainted eliminating the national marking - the cross on a white background - on the fuselage - they were concerned it served as an "aiming point." (That didn't seem to stop other German aircraft - but the German Army in 1939 quickly learned not to paint large white crosses on their tanks - because Polish gunners used it as an aiming point.) The photo isn't ideal especially as scanned. However, it's clear that the aircraft's fuselage - up to the front cockpit - and the top wingtips have a darker hue. WNW guesses either a matt brown glaze or a matt olive green glaze (letters "s" and "t" if you can see them). For the wings and most of the fuselage WNW clearly speculates semi-gloss light blue (i) or pale cream yellow (u): the color (j) is also out there (semi gloss white) - I'm not sure if that's another fuselage/upper wing option or if it might refer to the lower wings. (Color schemes in the WNW instructions clearly call for a whitish clear linen underneath.) Anyway, this scheme looks very good - a repaint - especially with a glaze demands neat effects and it'll weather up nicely. If anyone out there has an educated guess about what colors would fit the plane, I'd be very happy to hear about it.
Eric
RolandColor by Eric Bergerud, on Flickr

Offline Europapete

Re: Roland CII Color Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 11:50:42 PM »
Hi Eric, a nice color conundrum indeed. If you look closely at the two people by the fuselage in the first picture, you can just make out a fuselage cross behind them. Windsock magazine has a nice article on C2 colours in issue Vol.30, No2 Summer 2014. Should be still available from the Albatros Publications site. Regards, Pete in RI.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Roland CII Color Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 01:35:14 AM »
Hi Eric, a nice color conundrum indeed. If you look closely at the two people by the fuselage in the first picture, you can just make out a fuselage cross behind them. Windsock magazine has a nice article on C2 colours in issue Vol.30, No2 Summer 2014. Should be still available from the Albatros Publications site. Regards, Pete in RI.

It's worth reading, I have that article

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!