Author Topic: Aviatik Berg D.I, 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) paper model  (Read 12222 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Aviatik Berg D.I, 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) paper model
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2020, 10:30:30 AM »
I second and third Gene's pastels.  They are super easy to smudge around and blend.  Great idea.
Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2020, 11:29:31 AM »
Now that is shaping up wonderful so far Bob  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2020, 11:38:47 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Gene, I have a nice set of weathering powders from my railroad modeling days, and I had just neglected to use them.  Thanks for the reminder.  I applied some to the cowling and they really do the trick nicely.  I will use them throughout, as needed.

Got the tail feathers, struts and horns on last night:

She's starting to look like a real aeroplane now, and we have our first taste of the Autumn Mottle camo!  I'll rig the tail with Ez-Line or Uschi thread, then add the tail skid and other details.  Then, on to the wings.  I have two sets, so I will experiment with some embossing from the back for ribs, applying acrylic matte finish to distinguish them from the varnished fuselage, and using chalks for rib shading.  I want to break up the smooth finish and continuity of the mottle surface a bit, to give the wings some added texture and depth.  We'll see how it goes, but I'm looking forward to it.  Any tips from Gene or Dan, or anyone else?  Bueller?  Until next time,

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Radarman

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2020, 12:29:19 AM »
Bob,
The paper modeling world is drawing a lot of followers from the builds on this forum and your build is right up there with the best.

Thanks for sharing,
                                                                                                                                      Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline smperry

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2020, 12:33:53 AM »
I had gotten to disliking the Berg, probably due to a couple of those 1/72 Toko kits, but your build of this model has gotten me back to liking the Berg....very much. Really enjoying your posts Bob. Thanks for making the effort.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2020, 01:18:59 AM »

The paper modeling world is drawing a lot of followers from the builds on this forum and your build is right up there with the best.

Thanks Kevin!  Your comment about paper modeling is so true.  I had never built a paper model until I saw Dan's original build threads on this forum (Avro Spider, Pfalz Dr.I), and decided to give it a go.  Once I did I was hooked! :D  Marco has graciously offered two beautiful Albatros Oeffag paper kits for download with no charge on his thread under this heading, so anyone can hop on the paper train!  Marco's recent build threads here are really inspirational, as are Dan's YouTube video tutorials.  It really is fun, with all of the ups and downs of plastic modeling, but far easier on the pocketbook. 

sp, thanks for your kind comment as well.  The Berg is not the most beautiful of aircraft, but the Austrian schemes are really unique and attractive, and Marco's repaints are just gorgeous.  Hopefully, I can continue to get this one together well.  I shall give it my best.  This is just my second paper kit build, so I still have much to learn, but I am really enjoying it, even with the occasional missteps and frustrations.  Always nice to just print another parts sheet at Office Max for $1.50 when you foul something up beyond repair! ;)

Cheers,

Bob

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2020, 07:47:10 AM »
Man, Bob...that sucker looks so cool with the tail on.  That cross looks awesome.  Nice job on the chalks too.

Kevin is right...your model is super nice.

Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2020, 08:24:40 AM »
Any tips from Gene ... .

Bob, you have that turned around in that I'm getting tips from your magnificent workmanship!! Wonderful thread, thanks.

Gene K

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2020, 08:58:10 AM »
WOW! The tail looks superb to say the least. I continue to be impressed by the artwork and also your building skill!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
Love it !  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ::) :o

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »
Tips?  I'm taking notes!  ;D

Keep going...Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2020, 08:30:15 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I have gotten a little more done last night, but will be away from the bench this weekend.  Here is the tail skid and front engine tubing:

Berg, 7/17/2020 by Robert  Hallinger, on FlickrI

Rigging the tail has begun:

Berg, 7/17/2020 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

This is my first attempt at embossing the ribs on a lower wing.  I used a small knitting needle.  I think i need a broader instrument, but it looks pretty good.  Maybe a bit wider for the indentations.

Moving forward.  More next week.

Cheers,

Bob

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »
Hello Bob!

Looks great.  I like the embossing idea.  I ended up taking a 1/16th piece of piano wire and dremeled the tip to a nice shape for embossing.  I've also heard of people using an old ball point pen.  In any case, yours look nice.  :)

Dan

Offline ermeio

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2020, 09:22:37 PM »
Excellent Work, it is most realistic and not overdone
@NinetythirdLiberator: I use some old and empty ballpoint pens (different tip size)
The trick is to mark the two ends of the line from the printed side of the paper, some millimeters out of the  border of the wing with a needle (punching through). then you score on the back of the paper foil using the holes as the ending points and a ruler to guide the pen
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 11:19:04 PM by ermeio »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2020, 10:43:43 PM »
Looks Terrific to me! Not overdone and just enough to be seen.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler