Author Topic: Aviatik Berg D.I, 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) paper model  (Read 12211 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Aviatik Berg D.I, 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) paper model
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2020, 02:30:37 AM »
Hi Gene...don't mean to hijack but Bob is right about using plain ol' typing paper for small tubes etc.  I do that a lot or thin my 65lb. stuff with a sanding stick.  Either way, thinner will roll much better.  Can't wait to see your foray into paper and scissors.  Keep us in the loop... :D
Dan

Offline matt77

• Modellismo in carta
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2020, 03:58:56 AM »
I love the plywood fuselages.
I am anxious to see the finished model.
Marco

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2020, 11:58:06 PM »
Almost back to where I left off.  The fuselage piece is aligned properly this time.  We'll see how the rest of the parts go together.  They are cut out and ready to go.

The engine is just sitting there for effect, and appears to be a bit high, so I may have to adjust that.  More soon. 

Cherers,

Bob

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2020, 03:57:33 AM »
Looks sweet, Bob.  Your engine really adds to that machine.  Really nice.

Yours in Paper Cuts,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2020, 06:26:45 AM »
The engine looks great to me! Really coming along Nicely to say the least!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2020, 11:53:40 PM »
Thanks Dan and Rick! 

I made some significant progress early this morning, wrestling the bottom and top deck of the fuselage into place.  I'm not used to all of the little tabs, so it took me a while to figure that out, and somehow when gluing the bottom on I got a slight misalignment on one side, but it will be fine.  It was lined up when I test-fit it, then must have crept out of alignment when glue was applied.  Still learning!  Here is where we are this morning, moving the ball forward again:

I hope things will move along more smoothly from here.  I will need to make some modifications and tweaks to get everything lined up properly, i.e., the tail planes and rudder due to that modest misalignment of the fuselage bottom, and the front end radiator, but that should be relatively easy.  I hope to get more done this weekend.  I am anxious to get to those lovely Autumn Mottle wings!

Cheers,

Bob

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2020, 02:08:38 AM »
Hello Bob...
Love it.  I also find that no matter how many times I dry-fit (which is very important) it always seems to shift a bit when glue is added.  The paper modeling gods at it again... ;D

Yours looks great and so familiar.  I'm looking at my Berg right now and yours is lined up better than mine.  I don't think you'll have any trouble.  Good luck (just in case)!

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2020, 04:27:41 AM »
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words Dan.  Looking at the fuselage, I have to say that I love the natural wood that Marco has rendered--it really looks marvelous.  I'm now looking forward to moving on and getting the rest of the air frame together.  I also have the Berg kit that you built, with that great colorful Austrian hex lozenge, and I will get to that one before too long as well, as I have always loved that scheme.  Honestly though, I really like both of these, which is a testament to Marco's art. ;D

Cheers,

Bob   

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 05:16:40 AM »
Happy you resurrected the fuselage, looking awesome now.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 03:06:17 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Giuseppe. 

I have gotten the front radiator/cowl in place. There were some gaps and some trimming and additional tabs added, but it worked out okay.  There were still some gaps I didn't like, so I broke out the Testor's putty and filled and sanded them, followed up by painting and a dark wash to mute the bright brass.  I think it looks fine now.  I also added the turtle deck and cockpit coaming.

Next up will be the tail feathers.

Cheers,

Bob

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 08:08:17 AM »
Hey Bob,

I like the sheen on your turtle deck!  Looks the part for sure...

Nice progress and don't worry about the putty.  As long as you can match thing reasonably well, all's fair in love and paper modeling.

Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2020, 09:30:15 AM »
Matt really outdid himself on the wood with this one. Your clean construction just brings it out. I really like this one.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2020, 10:50:33 AM »
Thanks guys.  Marco outdid himself with the natursl wood on this one, and the sheen is his and/or the laser printing from Office Max.  I have only glued it together.  I am very happy with the way this looks.

Cheers,

Bob
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 11:06:25 PM by rhallinger »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2020, 10:49:34 AM »
Superb work on the fuselage construction. The wood finish on this one is amazing and like SP said your clean construction really shows it off! Looks amazing!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gene K

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 06:16:04 AM »
... followed up by painting and a dark wash to mute the bright brass. 

Really looks great, Bob.

One of the tools in my paper modeling arsenal is a good set of soft chalk pastels to touch up seams, etc. Easy to blend colors, apply with brush or fingers, and much more forgiving than paint.

Gene K