Author Topic: Aviatik Berg D.I, 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) paper model  (Read 12221 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Aviatik Berg D.I, 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) paper model
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 01:56:00 AM »
This one is really coming along Nicely to say the least! I love the weathering built into the patterns as it really looks awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2020, 04:06:22 AM »
Looks great, Bob.  You are doing extremely well.

Keep clipping!

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2020, 05:15:14 AM »
Thanks Rick & Dan.  I think we can all agree that Marco's repaints are really works of art, and definitely make the model--all we have to do is get the parts sliced up, formed up and put together.  The finishes on this one are just superb.  I'm looking forward to the wings and that lovely Autumn Mottle camo, and I don't ever have to crack open a bottle of paint or clean out the airbrush! ;D

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »
You seem to have a act for this Bob , really nice clean work with the cutting and gluing it all together .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gene K

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 10:22:39 AM »
Are there any good tutorials on making paper card models? Again, where?

You are welcome!

Gene K

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 06:35:58 AM »
Well, i have suffered a setback.  After affixing the sides of the fuselage i proceeded to glue on the bottom.  This revealed a twist in the fuselage that cannot be repaired, and will curtail further construction until i have new parts.  Three steps forward, two back. ::)

6/27/20 Berg by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

After the agony of defeat (and the swearing) had worn off, calm study indicated the culprit.  I had attached the cockpit covering unevenly, throwing off the alignment of the fuselage sides when they were added next.  See the area in the yellow circle, which resulted in the gap at the bottom of the rear cockpit bulkhead and the misalignment of the fuselage sides.  I must have rushed things.

Berg 6/27 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

Live and learn.  I have already dropped by my local Office Max and had another part sheet printed for $1.44 US.  I will salvage the engine and cockpit assembly and rebuild the fuselage more carefully this time.  Sigh.  At least the new parts are cheap and easily obtained.  I just need to slow down and test fit, test fit, test fit before committing to glue.  I will get there eventually.  I guess it's  good for the soul to be humbled now and then. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 07:04:05 AM »
A shame but like you said, the parts for the New Kit are cheap and easily obtained. I am looking forward to version #2!
RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 08:23:12 AM »
Bob, Bob, Bob... ;D

That is SOOOO familiar.  It's nice that you can reprint parts.  I do that often.  It may be possible, after cooling down a bit, to tease it apart and re-glue.  However, I think your re-do is the safest way.  It looks SOOO cool, by the way.  Twist or not.

Keep it up and don't give up!
Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2020, 10:31:17 PM »
Shame on having to do some rebuilding, but I'm sure the re-do will be flawless based on your workmanship thus far!

Looks like your Office Max does beautiful, vibrant printing. Are there any special instructions or paper that you have to give them?

Gene K

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 05:43:12 AM »
Thanks Rick, Dan and Ken.  I Decided to rebuild the interior structural components, since they may have contributed to the misalignment problem. Here is what I salvaged from the initial go round:

Here is where I am as of last night:

Almost caught up.  Hopefully, I will be a bit more careful in my approach moving forward.

Cheers,

Bob

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 06:23:43 AM by rhallinger »

Offline smperry

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 06:23:16 AM »
Being able to hit the reset button and get a do-over is a huge advantage to these paper kits. Really appreciate you showing this as it makes these models even more attractive.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 07:07:06 AM »
Awesome Re-start!
RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 07:36:34 AM »
Agreed all the way around.  Looks great, Bob.  Keep her straight!!!!  ;)

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2020, 11:11:01 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Gene, I overlooked responding to your question.  The only instructions I give the local Office Max is the weight of the paper, in this case 65 lb.  The nice sheen is either from the paper itself or the printing process.  The printing really is first rate.  I think I got the 65 lb. recommendation from one of Dan's earlier build threads, maybe the Avro Spyder, although it might have been the Pfalz Dreidecker.  That is a nice weight for most structural components and the airframe, but a little heavy for small parts like exhaust pipes that have to be rolled.  For those, I've taken to just color copying the part on regular 20 lb. paper for ease of rolling.  Those pipes just get glued onto the engine cylinders and bear no weight, so lighter paper is fine. 

Best regards,

Bob   

Offline Gene K

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2020, 10:02:02 PM »
The only instructions I give the local Office Max is the weight of the paper, in this case 65 lb. 

Thanks, Bob. Your Office Max really does do a great job printing ... I assume by the sheen it's laser printed. I'll give mine a go.

Gene K