Author Topic: Aviatik Berg D.I, 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) paper model  (Read 12230 times)

Offline rhallinger

The oils take so long to dry on my Warneford figure that I've decided to start a new model between painting sessions.  It's a 1/33 scale paper kit of Aviatik Berg D.I 38.02, one of the many mounts of Austrian ace Godwin Brumowski, in Autumn Mottle camouflage.  Here is the kit:

Berg: 6/6/20 by Robert  Hallinger, on Flickr

The artistry of Marco's repaint is wonderful, and Autumn Mottle is one of my favorite Austrian schemes.  I will have to experiment with how to make the natural wood fuselage glossy.  This one should be fun, and I'll be following Dan's previous build log for the Austrian lozenge version of this kit.  More updates as things progress.

Cheers,

Bob
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 01:09:40 PM by rhallinger »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Aviatik Berg D.I, 1/33 Models by Marek (Matt77 Repaint) paper model
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 01:27:29 PM »
That is a really nice kit , following along  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 02:41:37 PM »
Popcorn in one hand, scissors in the other...Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 10:17:46 PM »
excellent choice! I will follow along as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 08:57:23 AM »
Very fine subject, will be another beauty.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 11:57:55 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Here is some initial progress on the engine and interior:

As is usually the case, I had to think a bit on how to detail the engine, and the paper manifolds were a bridge too far for me, so I used brass and plastic rod stock bent to shape and CAed in place and painted.  As Dan noted in his build of the sister kit, the paper engine is not an accurate representation of an Austro-Daimler engine, so I tried to make it reasonably close by adding details.  The top panel on the cylinders (camshaft housing?) is strip styrene with bolts added to match drawings of the Austro-Daimler engine that powered the Berg.  I have left off the prominent front portion of the engine, the vertical component of the camshaft drive system I believe, since it is hidden under the upper cowling anyway once the fuselage wrap is applied.  I was frustrated early on with the engine and considered just building up a CSM kit of the 160 hp Austro-Daimler, but decided against it because I wanted to see what I could do with the paper parts, and the engine base or kit "frame" would have to be modified substantially for the engine to fit.  Also, the only part of the engine visible in this kit is the top, so I just want to make it look "busy" as opposed to dead-on accurate.  I'm aiming for "close enough" and the overall look of the aircraft. 

I should finish the engine tonight and then move on to the fuselage.  I am waiting to intstall the exhaust pipes until after the fuslage wrap is in place, to make sure that they are properly placed to protrude over the fuselage engine compartment opening, rather than perhaps interfering with placement of the fuselage side.

More soon.

Cheers,

Bob

Offline ermeio

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 12:03:31 AM »
Like all kits from Marco it is fabulous.
I will follow you with attention

Offline smperry

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 02:53:25 AM »
What a great choice Bob.

Questions
Is this kit available already printed on the correct thickness paper?
If so, where?
Are there any good tutorials on making paper card models? Again, where?

I am busting to try a paper model, but I do not have access to a working printer. I don't have in person access to paper stock and will have to order the correct thickness paper and have no idea what that would be even if I get the printer functional again.

TIA
sp
(Who wants to move from avid paper card watcher to avid paper card builder.)
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 04:27:06 AM »
Thanks guys.  sp, I started paper models after seeing Dan's (NinetythirdLiberator) build logs in the paper model section of "Under Construction" here on the forum.  I would suggest checking those out, as you will learn much and the models are really cool.  There are also links to Dan's YouTube site in the Nie.24 and recent Pfalz D.III logs, and his video series are very helpful in learning paper techniques for these kits.  There are also some general YouTube tutorials on various aspects of paper modeling if you poke around.

While there are many paper model "kits" of WWI aircraft (a google search will yield the sites), I got the "Models by Marek Matt77 Repaints" version of this kit as a download through internet purchase.  I copied the downloaded files onto a thumb drive and took it to my local OfficeMax copy center and they printed it out on suitably heavy paper for about $3.00US.  I think the download purchase was around $5.00 to $7.00.  I cannot remember the weight of the paper, but I recall that Dan mentioned it on one of his build logs, maybe even his Berg (with a different scheme, the colorful Austrian Hex lozenge--I have that one in the stash too).  I think the paper I'm using for the Berg might be just a tad too heavy for the small parts, so that is something you can experiment with. 

I have both traditional pre-printed paper kits and downloaded kits that I have had printed at OfficeMax.  It just depends on what aircraft you want.  The Models by Marek or Matt77 Repaints used to be available at a site called E-card Models, but that site is being revamped, so the old stores are not all there.  I think Matt77 has a store there again, but I do not know if any kits are posted for download purchase yet.  You'll have to search a bit and see what you can find. 

Good luck, and definately give it a try.  It takes some getting used to, but it is really very enjoyable. 

Best regards,

Bob 

Offline smperry

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 04:55:49 AM »
Bob
Thanks so much. I got some utube videos I'm watching and will follpw up with what you recommended on the paper card model section. That should answer enough of my questions to get started.
I have printed kits for a Spitfire and a 1-oh-thingie. Very old and stained, but should provide some practice in shaping various parts.
Thanks again for your help
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 09:14:22 AM »
Nice job on detailing the engine so far , sure adds to the over feel of the engine .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 10:09:37 AM »
Looks awesome, Bob.  I did he same with my Berg as well.  Close and busy and I think it passes muster.

Nice and neat!  Love the valve springs.

Dan

Online RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 06:39:53 AM »
Excellent start. The engine and interior look awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gene K

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 01:57:52 AM »
Are there any good tutorials on making paper card models? Again, where?

Explore the excellent Papermodelers site to admire the models, follow the builds, receive excellent advice, read the tutorials, buy and trade paper models and supplies, and download the free models ... among other things.

Gene K

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 12:31:01 AM »
I am making some slow progress with the Berg, but I think it will move along a bit once I get the fuselage together, which could happen tonight or tomorrow.  Here we are:

After I get the fuselage sides and top engine cowling (one piece) in place, I'll need to cut out all of the white areas on the fuselage top and bottom parts to create the tabs that will connect those parts to the fuselage side.  There is also a single bulkhead part (reinforced with balsa) at the rear of the fuselage near the fin/rudder, which I completed. 

I'm still a paper rookie, but I'm learning as I go.  Hopefully this will all come together nicely.  More soon.

Cheers,

Bob