Author Topic: Airfix 1/72 BE2c No.12 Sqn RFC *FINISHED*  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Early Bird Fan

Airfix 1/72 BE2c No.12 Sqn RFC *FINISHED*
« on: June 07, 2020, 02:46:58 AM »
I enjoyed building my first BE2c so decided to build another one in a different scheme so i could have a pair of them sat on my shelf. I'm still pretty much an OOB builder and am enjoying learning new skills and trying different things and this build will be no different.

Thought i'd try for a grainy effect on the prop, i know at this scale you wouldn't really see any grain but it makes it more interesting to look at and with the naked eye the effect is much less pronounced.

I've been experimenting recently with painting with oils rather than acrylics or enamels. I'm a brush painter and like trying new things and techniques, some work and some don't  :D I mixed up my version of a light cream colour for the wings and hoped to get away with one coat but there's a few issues so they will need a second coat.

The interior has been painted, the cream is Humbrol enamel everything else is oil paint. I used some stretch sprue as thin as i could get it for the front internal wires, the plan was to do both cabins but i'm not sure it looks right and was a bit of faff to get them in place so decided to leave it there. Once it's all buttoned up they can't be seen anyway so was more of an exercise in 'i wonder if...'

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:58:37 PM by Early Bird Fan »

Offline lone modeller

Re: Airfix 1/72 BE2c No.12 Sqn RFC
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 03:39:35 AM »
Excellent start EBF. I do like your propellor and the CDL which is a difficult colour as it was/is so variable. It is always a good thing to experiment - in that way we find out what does or does not work, but have the opportunity to learn. I can see another excellent model in the making here.

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 03:45:47 AM »
The linen on the wings is brushed with oils? :o
Looks like airbrushed! I like airbrushing, but it seems you don't need one.
What a great start!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 04:56:37 AM »
Excellent start, I'm liking the oil paint on the wings and your prop is magnificent! I like the BE2c very much, I can almost hear the theme tune to the old BBC series Wings reading through this thread.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 06:07:26 AM »
Really outstanding start on your BE! The prop looks greart as does the interior. I am considering building some 2 seaters in 1/72nd scale in the future so I will watch closely!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 06:43:56 AM »
thanks for the comments it's very much appreciated, i've painted the engine housing and the engine itself with acrylic paint just for ease but i plan on painting the rest of it with oil paint. The one down side to the oils is the drying time, it needs to be left for 2-3 days before it's dry enough to handle, the plus side is the drying time as you get plenty of chance to move the paint around or even wipe it all off if you're not happy with it

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 12:30:53 PM »
Really nice work so far and your prop turned out super ! Looking forward to more progress .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online FAf

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 08:06:34 PM »
Great work! Very nice looking prop! Who cares if the grain shouldn't be visible in this scale? If it looks like that, then it should be visible!!!
/Fredrik

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 12:00:44 AM »
thanks for the comments and looking in on my 2c.

Haven't achieved a huge amount over the last few days, i'm back at work after the best part of 3 months on furlough because of you know what.

The fuselage halves are now joined, generally a good fit but there is a seam down the spine. To try and avoid too much sanding i've brushed a thin bead of watered down pva glue along the join. You can still see the join from the front to the back but you can't feel it so will hopefully leave a smooth finish, i will give it a quick buff with a sanding sponge but nowhere near as much as if i'd used filler and the risk of possibly losing some of the detail around the cockpit.

Here's a pic of the engine cell, brush painted with Tamiya light grey acrylic

The cabanes are also painted in a wood type effect

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 12:07:29 AM »
You are moving along nicely! I hope the seam work comes out OK.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
Looking good!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 09:46:17 PM »
Great work.  Those cabanes really look the  part.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 03:21:05 AM »
That is a really good idea to fill the joint along the spine. I hope that it works because if it does I will be keeping it in mind for future reference.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 02:20:01 AM »
Must be very difficult to get a convincing wood grain effect in 1/72 but you've managed it!

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »
been a while since my last update, work and life keep getting in the way of modelling but i have managed to get some things done. I wasn't happy with how the paint looked so i spent a long while stripping it all off and starting again. I'm a lot happier with it this time and i've also added the small levers for the rudder cables which will make it easier to rig to and it also moves them out away from the other cables nearer to where they should be