Author Topic: Cataloguing Useful Hints - Looking for advice  (Read 1786 times)

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Cataloguing Useful Hints - Looking for advice
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:23:01 AM »
Hello good people of the WWI modelling community,

I'm looking for advice on a relatively newbie-type problem. See, I've only been at this modelling and internet forum thing since the gentleman and scholar Des set up this site that we all find so useful. As you all well know, this site has become a gold mine of hints, tips, tricks, pitfalls to avoid, and all that other good stuff that helps us improve our own building.

My problem is this: how do you more experienced users catalog and organize all of the good info that you come across? You know how it is; you'll be reading through an especially good build log and come across a really great tip. You say to yourself, "Self, I really should remember that for when I do this on another build. Please remember that, Self." "Okay, Self, will do." "Thanks, Self. Your butt looks great in those jeans." Problem is, that I never put them electronically in one convenient place, because I don't know what that convenient place or format is. I then find I always end up thinking "Hmmm, I could have sworn it was Bud who did the pastel shading tutorial, now where is that?" 30 minutes of frustrating and not always successful  searching ensues.

So, to all the experienced internet forum users out there, how do you catalog and organize all the hints and tips you come across?

I'd love to hear as many methods as possible. Thanks for chipping in.

Lindsay

Offline rhallinger

Re: Cataloguing Useful Hints - Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:28:14 AM »
Thanks for asking about that Lindsay.  I was thinking the same thing, as there have been some real technique gems here recently.  I saw someone reference bookmarking these subject threads, but I have no idea how to do that.  Any hints from the seasoned veterans?  Thanks!

Regards,

Bob

Dekenba

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:38:15 AM »
Bookmark folder called Modelling with folders called Aircraft, WWI, Tips, WIPS, Research, Forums & Websites.

I then bookmark interesting stuff & pop it into the appropriate folder.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:33:58 AM »
Never thought of doing that. I just figure I will know where it is onthe site- then spend ages trying to track it down. I suppose you can break each bookmark down as far as you need to. Thanks!! Now where do I catalogue this thread?....

Steve

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:38:26 AM »
Steve:

I've been trying the human organic recall method as well.  My problem is that I simply can't remember where so many great threads are located!  ::)  As a good friend always reminds me: "Never get old!"   ;D

Regards,

Bob 

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:24:56 AM »
Steve:

I've been trying the human organic recall method as well.  My problem is that I simply can't remember where so many great threads are located!  ::)  As a good friend always reminds me: "Never get old!"   ;D

Regards,

Bob

Bob,
    Ditto, and be advised that the "never get old" advice I oft repeat is somewhat late in my case!

Lindsay,
   Great question; I just leaped over this hurdle last week, like many here I relied on memory to get me back to that great hint or tid bit and it failed consistently. I've started a couple of folders in "Favorites", one for References and one for Tips and Techniques. Now I need to capture all the old ones and get them filed, wish you had brought this up some time ago!
   The lesson it takes but a few seconds to put it where you can find it, or hours to do the big square search and find it if you dont.
Cheers,
Lance :'(

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »
Start a word document and paste in the web page addresses of anything useful that catches your eye, plus enough text that it will jog your memory. I save images under a separate folder for each aeroplane type, and I have another folder for photos of engines, bombs and guns
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:02:25 PM »
If you know it's in this forum, then the search (top right) comes in handy.

I also think I need to catalogue all the excellent tips, techniques, what not and then completely forget and fail to do so ::)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:46:53 PM »
I copy and paste a tip or technique into a Word document and then file it under my model building folder. For example, I copied and pasted the text and images pertaining to the rib shading technique Bud employs, edited the text a bit to suit my purposes, titled it 'RibShading' and filed it away for when I need to refer to it. It takes a bit of time, but I find that it's worth the effort, and it eliminates the possibility that the images have disappeared from the original link, or the link itself is dead, when I need it.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 03:10:59 AM »
ooo never thought about the dead link aspect. I better get cracking. Thanks for jarring the mind!! Im not always 1/2 in the jar though....

Steve

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »
Good point about the 'dead link' issue Chris, I've encountered that enough times that I really should do something along the lines of your method.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 07:36:05 AM »
Good discussion, all. That's what I was looking for. I may try doing the copy and paste trick into Microsoft OneNote, or Evernote or something like that. That way you don't have dead links, still have the photos, can organize by subject, and the big one - searchable.

I'm still open to hearing what works for others. Thanks for the input so far.

LT

WarrenD

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 03:36:59 AM »
Start a word document and paste in the web page addresses of anything useful that catches your eye, plus enough text that it will jog your memory. I save images under a separate folder for each aeroplane type, and I have another folder for photos of engines, bombs and guns

This is the one I recommend. Sadly, I lost 10+ years worth of posts and articles I had saved in a favorites folder, and that folder missed being saved when I had to get my PC rebuilt. The only ones I still have are the ones I saved as Jamo indicated above. The problem I have in searching forums is that often-times a thread will devolve into another subject and the hint or tip I want to save is buried within.

Warren

Dekenba

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 03:43:59 AM »
I would add that if you use Google Chrome as a browser & create a free Google account, your favourites are saved on Google's servers.

You can then access them from any computer & don't have to worry about hard drive crashes and suchlike.

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »
I started a series of threads called "Show us your....."
The idea was that people could share the specifics regarding the building of a particular model - especially the pitfalls and gotchas.
Other than that, the mark 1 brain is the best place to store stuff!
Like whiteknuckles said - the search button is a great tool!
Carpo
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.