Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Website  (Read 4116 times)

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
Wingnut Wings Website
« on: May 29, 2020, 02:31:13 AM »
Wingnut Wings website has gone, cannot access it here in the Middle East.

Did anyone download the entire archive phtographs, instruction booklets and customers gallery?

Anyone else able to access the site?

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
Re: Wingnut Wings Website
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 02:43:29 AM »
Just checked it from US Central Time Zone.  Still up, still not taking on-line orders.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 02:44:40 AM »
Just checked it from US Eastern Time Zone.  Still viewable.

Dekenba1

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 03:26:03 AM »
Yep, very much still there in Wales.

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 04:38:14 AM »
Thanks, must be a local problem here in that case.
Can access other sites no problem, within the usual restrictions.

Offline Dave J

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 04:14:32 PM »
Still fine in its home town...
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 04:46:25 PM »
I just accessed it in Abu Dhabi, so no UAE wide restriction.

Ian

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 05:12:19 PM »
Thanks everybody for checking, the site seems to be back now.

I think there was a little trouble with the local provider ‘eat-a-salad’ for a few days here.

Wonder how long the WNW site will remain up for?

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 07:27:11 AM »
Thanks everybody for checking, the site seems to be back now.

I think there was a little trouble with the local provider ‘eat-a-salad’ for a few days here.

Wonder how long the WNW site will remain up for?

My personal opinion is that it should remain up forever.  The cost/bother of that can't be very significant for Mr. Jackson and the website goes far beyond a traditional online retail store.  The site is filled with valuable reference material, photographs, instructions, building tips, etc.

It always went hand in hand with the actual kits as part of the WNW experience.

Lots of folks out there will be interested in, buying, selling, and building these kits for years to come.

Why not just leave it up?

Offline Dave J

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 10:17:49 AM »
It would be lovely to leave it up as the resource of information is enormous, and it would be great to show off the legacy that WNW once was...
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline knolton

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 02:33:22 AM »
Hello,

I guess that nobody can say for sure that the website stays up. In an attempt to preserve this valuable resource I have put together a tool to scrape some of the content and store it in shared folder on Google Drive (no Google account required).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uScvbnCjl5NyBAj8BNfiykUZ-asl9BAN?usp=sharing

Aside from browsing thru, anyone interested should be also able to download either the entire archive or specific folder(s). The whole thing results in a 2.06 GB ZIP file. The per-folder breakdown goes as follows:

• Booklets - kit and decal instruction booklets, 90 PDF files, 917 MB
  • Instructions - kit and decal individual instruction pages, also hint & tips, 2323 images, 486 MB
  • Photos - both B/W and color photos, 4123 images, 612 MB
  • Photos WWII - World War II photos, mostly (if not all) on Avro Lancaster, 89 images, 12 MB
  • Schemes - kit and decal color schemes, 445 images, 31 MB

The file name of every image is actually a short description shown on the original site, so luckily even that is not lost.

I just wanna emphasize again that my motivation is to preserve these resources, not to infringe on anyone copyright. The files are completely unaltered except for an occasional minor file name reformatting.

Hope it helps.

~Bryan

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 03:19:24 AM »
Excellent work, Bryan.
Thank you!

von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline petrov27

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 04:35:15 AM »
Yes - this is amazing - thank you so much for doing it!

Regarding downloading it though, I keep trying - it shows "adding to zip" for a while, then download is ready but doesn't download - the download is ready prompt just disappears. Is there somewhere the zipped download file is located?
-Patrick

Offline knolton

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 05:00:58 AM »
I should have warned... It does take some time for the Drive to prepare the ZIP file for download, even few minutes for the entire archive.

On Firefox when the "Preparing download..." disappears I am presented with a "Save file" dialog to confirm. The file is downloaded into the folder I have specified in the browser settings: Preferences -> Files and Applications -> Downloads -> Save files to.

On Chrome when the "Preparing download..." disappears I get a "Leave site?" dialog (for some reason). When confirmed to "Leave" the download start showing at the bottom of the browser window. Again, the file lands in the folder specified in the browser settings: Preferences -> Advanced -> Downloads -> Location.

Note that I am on Mac, so your particulars may vary a little bit.

~Bryan

Offline fruibal

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 07:25:23 AM »
I should have warned... It does take some time for the Drive to prepare the ZIP file for download, even few minutes for the entire archive.

On Firefox when the "Preparing download..." disappears I am presented with a "Save file" dialog to confirm. The file is downloaded into the folder I have specified in the browser settings: Preferences -> Files and Applications -> Downloads -> Save files to.

On Chrome when the "Preparing download..." disappears I get a "Leave site?" dialog (for some reason). When confirmed to "Leave" the download start showing at the bottom of the browser window. Again, the file lands in the folder specified in the browser settings: Preferences -> Advanced -> Downloads -> Location.

Note that I am on Mac, so your particulars may vary a little bit.

~Bryan

Thanks a lot!!!! This should have taken a lot of labour and hours, your sharing is much appreciated !!