Author Topic: First Sopwith triplane question form me.  (Read 1694 times)

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
First Sopwith triplane question form me.
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
Okay guys,

I'm contemplating planning my Tripe build. I fancy a twin gun option. Stephen Lawson hass already advised all Clayton twin gun Tripes were reported to have the oval type access panels in the cheeks.

But do my eyes deceive me in the Windsock Datafile 22 on page 31, picture of N534 as per the WNW profile B (which shows an elliptical panel..) Isnt the access panel of the larger square type in this picture?

Has anyone any advice, pics, links etc on either this aircraft or *Black Maria* that can give me a definate yes or no as to which panel is right?

Yours so very hopefully

:o Confused already Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: First Sopwith triplane question form me.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
Keith,
   N534 is also illustrated on the back of the back cover of datafile 22. It is shown with the "large square" access panel per your comment. I agree with your interpretation of the photo on pg. 31; looks like the same "large square " panel to me. I took a look in my copy of Westrop's Naval 10 History and although the photos of N533, Collishaw's "twin", don't provide any clarification the excellent coloured profile again shows the "large square" panel. (as does the Osprey Triplane Aces book) I see three distinctly square and different Access panels in the material I've got; small square, large square, and a "huge square" as on N6301 "Dusty" I cannot find any "oval" panels illustrated.
   I too plan a twin Vickers Model, no doubt N533 as the Canuck in me won't allow it any other way. Hopefully someone else can clear this up BEFORE we finish. But wait, we promised not to start before the benches were clear..............didn't we?!
Cheers,
Lance ;)

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 05:35:39 PM »
 I too plan a twin Vickers Model, no doubt N533 as the Canuck in me won't allow it any other way. Hopefully someone else can clear this up BEFORE we finish. But wait, we promised not to start before the benches were clear..............didn't we?!
Cheers,
Lance

Yeah.... but..... uh-huh well kinda... ummmm *just noticed the spolling mishtook in the title too*

Me's bin bad  ::)  :-[

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »
Here's a picture on the WNW site:

Clayton & Shuttleworth Twin Gun (final photo on top line):

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/04547BE05FDC5EAF7B209524E7E2CAA5

Also as reported in the Instruction sheet for the Tripe - see pages 7 and 18

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/989573938D856522E889859C760FD27E

Fairly conclusive - for the production batch if not for N 533 itself.

Frankly I'd take Richard Alexander's research findings as some of the best out there; he has a superb collection of reference sources available to him, a critical eye and an investigative mind which misses hardly the slightest detail and (probably most important) he has a seemingly pathological inability to state opinion as fact....

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:15:44 AM »
The first photo is pretty definite; it is a twin gun Tripe and the cheek panel is the oval one. I suppose like many topics the newer the info the more supportive material forms the basis. I have submitted a question/doubt to Richard in the past and, in addition to being impressed with how quickly he replied, I also respected and agreed with his conclusions. Unless some other info surfaces I'll be going with the oval panel per the Kit's directions.
Thanks for the inputs Rowan. (Now, get back to processing all the Tripe Orders including mine and while you have a moment get cracking on the green maple leaf order for the Canadian DVIIs Gary, Chris, and I have been whining about! ;)  ;) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 01:59:32 AM »
.............Now, get back to processing all the Tripe Orders including mine and while you have a moment get cracking on the green maple leaf order for the Canadian DVIIs Gary, Chris, and I have been whining about! ;)  ;) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Enough to make a groan man weep!

Thing is, it seems that the Pheon Dispatch Department (third floor of Pheon Towers, next to R&D and downstairs from Product Planning), is hell-bent on sending out bonus decals with certain orders to the Frozen North... eh? Sorry Gary! eh? C'est le pression du job, bieng sur! En plus, the head of Dispatch/Finance/Production/Media Relations/Catering/Housekeeping has dual French/Canadian citizenship. 'tis all a plot  oi tells yer!

More Maple syrup on these crepes, vite! Vite je dit, merde alors, J'ai besoing du sucre!

Vive le Quebec Britanique!

Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:36:39 AM »
fer sure eh?

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:14:30 AM »
Sounds fascinating, Rowan, I love presents! Problem is your Decal Sheets invariably lead to other orders and a bigger stash. Kind of like my "one only" SE5a which has morphed into one built, two in the stash. The only thing sure about my planning and resolve is............I'm never sure!
Cheers,
Lance :) ;)

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »
Okay I bow to others opinions....  ;D

Actually I sat on my throne in my Meditation chamber and studied that picture, it suddenly came to me that the line that looked remarkably line a panel line complete with ninge was actually not in line with the fuselage's lines. So now I can rest a little easier and get on with the.. I mean formulate a planned build for sometime in the future *coughs*  ::)

TY For your input guys,