Author Topic: Scratch building question  (Read 938 times)

Offline RichieW

Scratch building question
« on: May 28, 2020, 12:35:42 AM »
Hi everybody, I have what might be a dumb question about scratch building. Apologies if so but I want to dip my toe into this part of the hobby.

Is the old fashioned method of balsa frame and doped tissue covering a reasonable method for a non flying model or is this only suitable for rubber powered flying models?

Can doped tissue be airbrushed?

I built a few KielKraft flying models several decades ago and wondered if this might be a reasonable way to make a start with scratch building.

Again, sorry if this is a silly question.

Richie

Offline smperry

Re: Scratch building question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:05:59 AM »
Richie, nothing wrong with stick and tissue. Doped tissue will take airbrushed paint. However, scale is the issue. Balsa comes in set sizes and even with a decent balsa stripper it is difficult to cut anything smaller than 1/32 sq. and that is pushing how frail a frame you want to apply tissue and thinned dope to.
A 1/32" sq stick would represent a 1" sq piece in full size and a 1/16" sq stick would represent a 2"x2" piece when working to 1:32. Stick and tissue would be a more useful media if you are working in 1:16 scale, then 1/16" sq would be 1" sq and 1/32"sq would represent 1/2". You wouldn't have to make design concessions to flyability so you could build a heavier structure where strength was required and save the really light stuff for structure visible through the cockpit opening. also if you could find 1/32 Basswood, that might take stain and paint better than balsa.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 01:20:45 AM »
If you want some scratchbuilding inspiration (in plastic), try this:

http://www.primrose-engineering.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/ScaleModelAircraft_Woodman.pdf

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 02:08:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies chaps.

SP, I think 1/16 might be a bit too big a scale for me to display in our tiny house but it would make detailing a little easier. I think I can get basswood so maybe stick and tissue is a possibility.

Richard, I have been reading 'The bible'. He really is an inspiring modeller. Definitely not ruling out plastic card and rod. I am a little more familiar with the stick and tissue approach though. I made a Keil Kraft Spitfire nearly 50 years ago. It was very rough looking but it did manage a flight in the back garden before getting ripped to shreds by a heavy landing in a rose bush. :)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 02:29:09 AM »
You'll find scratchbuilding (for example) a Fokker E.III easier in plastic than in stick and tissue. Many WWI planes had fairly simple, boxy fuselages

I have also built a Keil Kraft Spitfire, and I remember it having all it's balsa structure showing

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!