Author Topic: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Gisbod

1/700 HMS Prince of Wales
« on: May 25, 2020, 06:24:59 PM »

Just to keep the naval theme running....

Guy

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline rhallinger

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 08:30:41 PM »
That's fanrasric Guy!  As a former 1/700 waterliner, i am highly impressed.  What detail set did you use?  I woild fear adding photoetch railings.  So small!  Wooden deck?  These could become addictive. ;D

Great job on this, as usual. 

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 08:42:01 PM »
Thanks Bob,

Yes, it certainly is a challenging scale to work in. It’s not easy, but I’m quite enjoying pushing myself. Think I got a bit stale on aircraft, not that I’m going to stop, but enjoying the diversity.

The Flyhawk Deluxe boxing has everything you need- brass barrels and a ton of etch. Seriously good value. The deck is an addition but that’s also Flyhawk’s as well. I’ve fallen in love with wood decks.

Guy

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 08:53:51 PM »
Thanks Guy.  Yes, I agree: the wood decks really make these models shine.  I suspect that they're also easier than trying to paint the plastic, in the long run (I seem to remember tinlets of Humbrol Deck-Bleached Teak from my youth ;D).  What do you guys use for the linoleum decks on Japanese cruisers?

Very nicely done on this.  Making me want to hop back into ships for a break!

Best,

Bob

Offline FAf

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 04:51:20 AM »
That is seriously small! Looks really good though, especially with the railings and other photetched details.
/Fredrik

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 03:13:56 PM »
Thanks Fredrik,

Thanks Guy.  Yes, I agree: the wood decks really make these models shine.  I suspect that they're also easier than trying to paint the plastic, in the long run (I seem to remember tinlets of Humbrol Deck-Bleached Teak from my youth ;D).  What do you guys use for the linoleum decks on Japanese cruisers?

To be honest Bob, I’m not one of ‘you guys‘ yet, only made a couple of ships!

Guy

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »
Thanks Fredrik,

To be honest Bob, I’m not one of ‘you guys‘ yet, only made a couple of ships!

Guy

Could have fooled me Guy!  Your ship models look like you're an old hand at this genre.  Outstanding  stuff! ;D  Thanks for sharing it here.

Best,

Bob

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 09:44:33 PM »
That's astonishing Guy, just outstanding modelling. I'm also a fan of ships and want to start on a Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Dreadnought. The prospect of tackling the teeny tiny details of a 1/700 scale ship would send me racing to the Navy rum!

cheers

Dave W
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 10:11:13 PM »
Thanks,

Dave, it is super tiny, but there in lies the challenge! The secret is very good magnification- I bought a really decent set of medical optivisors and its transformed my abilities!

Guy

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 10:35:55 PM »
Thanks for the tip Guy.  Can you recommend a brand or type of optivisors?

Best,

Bob

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 11:44:00 PM »

I’ve had sets in past off eBay for around £10-20 but I’ve never liked them, so I asked a UK supplier for a recommendation. They said these:

https://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Surgical-Loupes/Binocular-LED-headband-magnifier.html

These aren’t cheap obviously, but I use them all the time and they’re literally essential for 1/700! I thought I’d treat myself.

But they do cater for every budget. Just what you want and prepared to pay for I guess.

Guy

Offline smperry

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 12:17:36 AM »
Guy
About the decking? Is that precolored PE or something else?.
I ordered a 1/700 USS Arizona by Trumpeter. Where might I look for similar decking and PE details?
I have been meaning to try a ship or two, but have no knowledge of ships in general, (they float IIRC), and even less of ship modeling techniques and associated supplies and tools. Seeing your Prince of Wales has ignited a long smoldering urge to build some ships. Is there a forum of sorts on  modeling ships that is newbee friendly? I have more questions about ships than most folks have patience.
TIA
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 12:32:56 AM »
Guy
About the decking? Is that precolored PE or something else?.
I ordered a 1/700 USS Arizona by Trumpeter. Where might I look for similar decking and PE details?
I have been meaning to try a ship or two, but have no knowledge of ships in general, (they float IIRC), and even less of ship modeling techniques and associated supplies and tools. Seeing your Prince of Wales has ignited a long smoldering urge to build some ships. Is there a forum of sorts on  modeling ships that is newbee friendly? I have more questions about ships than most folks have patience.
TIA
sp

Looks like we’re in the same boat then  ;D I didn’t have a clue either, I asked lots on Britmodeller in the maritime section and got some useful advice and tips. The wood deck is literally wood - very thin (like paper) with a sticky backing - Artwox is a decent manufacturer, but you’ll find others. They really drag the build up a couple of notches and make painting much easier. Flyhawk I would say are the premium 1/700 source. They do their own kits and detail up sets for a lot of others. The best PE I’ve ever seen. They also do wood decks too which are even thinner than Artwox - think gold leaf!

Glue is key, I use Loctite CA and Gators thin blend and Klear depending on what it needs - trial and error here.

Lot of PE bending so a decent tool and tweezers very helpful.

Good magnification and light important.

I could go on (and on!)

Guy

Ps http://www.shipmodels.info/ try here too.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 12:36:14 AM »

Offline smperry

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 03:39:56 AM »
Wow, that guy has some serious time on his hands.
Thanks Guy I willl follow up on those sites. The wood deck answer made that issue much clearer. I have some tissue paper thin wood veneer in my Miekraft Caproni Ca.3 kit. I can hardly imagine something that thin yet showing the detail the deck on your PoW.  Thanks
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.