Author Topic: Articulating Control Surfaces in 1:48  (Read 976 times)

Offline smperry

Articulating Control Surfaces in 1:48
« on: May 21, 2020, 04:35:36 PM »
I could use some suggestions about posing control surfaces in 1:48 scale. Old limited run kits were shy on molded in detail and the hack, sand and glue method was just fine. Newer kits have some nice molded hinge detail that crosses the hinge line and gets ruined when the control surface is cut away.

Using a scribe tool to cut down through the hinge line, but leaving the molded hinge detail intact and then gently bending to position is one way. On the other hand, scribe right through and separate the pieces. Sand off all evidence of the molded hinge detail on both pieces. Pose the surface and make some sort of replacement hinge out of card and/or rod. That's two somewhat opposite approaches. I would sure like to hear how some of y'all do it, especially if it different from what I mentioned.
TIA
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Articulating Control Surfaces in 1:48
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:36:26 AM »
Check out my lloyd build , I did this to the tail planes . I make marks with a pencil on the location right on the part . Detail is removed and parts cut free . Clean up with a bit of sanding . Following the marks made earlier I use a micro saw and cut notches on both parts . Card stock ( strips in the case ) are cut and placed in the notches on the wing part not the flight controls . Glue is applied ( Tamiya extra thin , lime green cup ) . Once every thing is nice and dry they are trimmed and sanded to shape .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »
I tend to only completely remove the control surface if I need to - I find it's quite hard to maintain consistent right angles and inevitably the parts don't quite look right. I use the below type of saw blade to cut partway through the control surface hinge line, and all the way through the other parts of the surface, and bend the flight control from there. Hinge detail can then be restored.

The 1/48 Eduard Albatros wings pictured are slightly more annoying; Eduard didn't include the cut outs for the control horn that sticks out forward of the control surface into the main wing.

Cheers,

BC 

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 01:27:30 PM »
Terri
Thanks. I started on the elevator and did pretty much what you described only i used a circular cut off disc on my Dremel to just barely notch each hinge right over the hinge line. Then I used a scribe to separate the parts. I notched them at the hinge locations and cut some card in a strip to insert in the notches and simulate the hinge detail.

Brad
Bless you Sir, I had forgotten about the aileron control arm projecting into the wing. I hadn't started on the wings yet, so your timing is perfect.

Thanks again y'all, I sure appreciate the responses.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 02:50:11 AM »
Oh, I think a Dremel takes to much material away!
I use only thinnest PE saws, which are available here:
http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_112

The Albatros problem I handled here. See also the right cut, there is no material missing.

Full posting, this is also a example, how I handle the cut out:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10502.msg192500#msg192500

Addionally I can only suggest to browse the "Under Construction" section, there are so many helpful reports by the forum members.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline smperry

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 05:14:53 AM »
Thank you so much Frank
I will be getting some of the saws. I only just kissed the hinge right over the hinge line with the dremel cut off wheel. That made it easier to run the scribe down the hinge line and separate the elevator from the stab pieces. All went well exactly as envisioned up to this point.

The cut off wheel was too thick to use to make the notches, so I carefully scored the edges of the pieces on each edge of the hinge, then used a fine tooth Xacto saw to cut down each side of the hinge and make the notch. Being this was my first attempt at doing this and the Xacto saw was likely not the ideal tool I got the notches cut and the hinges installed in the notches, but not nearly as neatly as what you just posted. Hard to see in the photo which isn't an entirely bad thing.

I will go ahead and separate the ailerons, but will wait to see what these saws you recommend do. I should have tried the notches on some of my spare Albie parts and will try the new saws on some when they arrive.

Thanks again
sp