Author Topic: Clearcoat for Tamiya Paint  (Read 1918 times)

Offline rolanddvi

Clearcoat for Tamiya Paint
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:31:20 AM »
I am currently working on an Eduard SE.5a and as I get closer to painting it I am wondering what gloss clearcoat to use. I will be using Tamiya paints so I'm looking for a good clearcoat to seal the paint and provide a gloss surface for the decals.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Bill_S

Re: Clearcoat for Tamiya Paint
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 05:08:36 PM »
I've used Testor's Model Master out of a rattle can for years.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 05:19:21 PM »
Tamiya x22 Gloss Clear Coat cut 50/50 with Mr Levelling thinner.
Two coats. First coat sprayed on light and dusty. Second coat going down wet, but don't flood the area.

Good luck.
Thinner Bob  :D

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 12:21:17 AM »
Bill and Bob,

Thanks for the responses. von B, I have Tamiya TS-13 in a rattle can. Is that similar to the X-22 you mention?

Bill, I have used Model Master for years but in switching to Tamiya paints wasn't sure if they are compatible.

Thanks,
Mike

Online hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 03:31:39 AM »
x-22 is the acrylic version in the little jars, one of several verions of clear Tamiya has to offer. They also do a great matt and semi-gloss, all are fine to work with, especially when used with lacquer thinner.

For a better matt finish I mostly use the matt clear from Mr. Paint, works great for me

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 04:35:03 AM »
Mike,
     I have changed my preference for clear coats so many times in the past years I've lost track of half of them. With the loss of a decent supply of enamels I've concentrated on Tamiya Acrylics and later started using their gloss, semi gloss, and flat clears however I use their R-20 Thinner as opposed to their lacquer version to preclude decal damage with overcoats. I've found that a mix of about 70/30 of the Semi Gloss and Flat suitably thinned provides a nice semi Gloss final top coat. It also "blends" well with brush touch ups when required. I still use Future as a gloss coat before decaling however the Gloss Clear works well also.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 09:27:25 AM »
For dull coating I used to used Testors dull coat in the glass jars , hobby shops in the city here can't get any more . I do have Tamiya's flat clear in their acrylic and lacquer line and only use the lacquer thinner . Don't use there A-20 . I have been toying with Vallejo's Model Air line of paints . Their flat clear is dead flat , to much will give it a frosty look which can be fixed by spraying more clear gloss and re spraying the flat . It dries overnight depending on how thick one lays it down . It is resin based so very durable . Don't use the Tamiya flat base . This is added to their gloss paint shades to dull them . You can also thin Tamiya's acrylic line with 90% rubbing Alcohol . Walmart has it for 3 bucks ! Not sure else where but it it a cheap source for thinner . Water works as well too , just not as well . Their lacquer brand is lacquer only . Their A-20 will not work !!!!

Well I guess that's it in a nutshell

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 12:52:13 PM »
Another clear coat I have used over Tamyia acrylics are Gunze acrylic clear coats. They have a premium clear flat which is very nice; I cut it roughly 50/50 with Tamiya acrylic thinner and it lays down nicely, with just a slight hint of sheen. If you really want it flatter than flat, thin it with 50/25/25 with clear flat, thinner and methylated spirits.

This clear coat is also good for oil based washes.

Cheers,

BC

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 10:07:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys and gals. Looks like I got some experimenting to do to find a comfortable solution for me. I have applied Future to the bird. Next up will be the decals.

This question was asked because I was working on a WNW Pfalz D.IIIa awhile back and I'm not sure what I did or didn't do but but after spraying on Tamiya TS-13 Clear, putting on the decals and letting them dry for two days, I applied Vallejo Acrylic Gloss Varnish and noticed that the decals looked like a crackling medium was used. I did not put down any future before or after the decals so that might have caused the problem.

I just recently switched to Tamiya paints and don't want to go through that again.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 11:12:36 AM »
Hi Mike , the reason the decals reacted was the top coat wasn't fully dry before the sealing coat was applied which is a different meduim . The TS spray cans lay the coat on to thick which takes longer to dry . The Vallejo dries at a faster rate causing the cracking in the decals . Best way to tell if your top coat is dried is to smell it . If you can still smell the coat it's not fully dried . I hope this helps you in the future .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 05:49:48 AM »
I will certainly keep that in mind Terri. Thanks!

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 11:35:44 AM »
Update: I put on a coat of Future using my airbrush, first time using it with Future. Worked great! After a week of drying I then sprayed on a mix of Tamiya semi-gloss and flat. That also worked great. And no problems with the decals reacting poorly.

A big THANK YOU to everyone. Your responses and advice are much appreciated.

Mike