Author Topic: Wingnut Wings 1/32 Sopwith Dolphin - Build #1 of the Sopwith Series.  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Dave J

A fortnight ago I was contacted by a gentleman that I met at the Telford show in 2018 and enquired about me building five Sopwith's kits for him as a commission. So everything was discussed, and terms agreed upon. Once the kits are made, they will be winging their way over to the UK to their home.

So this "Sopwith Series" will be my builds of these kits. So lined up are the Camel, Dolphin, Pup, Snipe and Triplane. I am going to be kicking off with the Dolphin first. Since I don't have a Dolphin in my cabinet at home I will be building a second once at the same time. I've built multiple kits at the same time before and once you have all the clean up done it doesn't add to much extra work to complete the second one.

There are no pictures for this update as of yet. I've just started to remove parts from the sprues for clean up and hopefully will start gluing and adding some paint in the upcoming days. Unfortunately, we just dropped to Level 2 with our COVID-19 Lockdown so that means I am back in the work office on Monday, so no break & lunch sessions of painting like I have been able to do over the last 7 weeks at home.

Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline RAGIII

I am really looking forward to your Sopwiths Dave! I loved the Dolphin kit, one of My favorites!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Looking forward to your builds on this one and the others once the undertaking begins  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Hi Dave,
Mike Swinburn is currently working on a 3D printed modification to create the Sopwith Salamander model.
I wonder if your client might be interested in adding that to his series,

Mike

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115991888428471/3447871185240508/?comment_id=3448029055224721&reply_comment_id=3448081425219484&notif_id=1589502014105105&notif_t=group_comment

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Bughunter

Oh yes, another Dolphin! I will watch for sure. Which markings/serial do you plan to use?
Mine in the neighbor thread will be finished today :)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Dave J

Hi Dave,
Mike Swinburn is currently working on a 3D printed modification to create the Sopwith Salamander model.

Mike

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115991888428471/3447871185240508/?comment_id=3448029055224721&reply_comment_id=3448081425219484&notif_id=1589502014105105&notif_t=group_comment

I'm great friends with Mike, and we catch up nearly on a daily basis, so I have seen his great progress on the Salamander. I think I will end up building one at some stage. I will just need to find a spare Snipe to do so.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Dave J

Oh yes, another Dolphin! I will watch for sure. Which markings/serial do you plan to use?
Mine in the neighbor thread will be finished today :)

Cheers,
Frank

Hi Frank,

I am looking at scheme B - Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, C3803, “Red Star”, SARD, March 1918 as I haven't seen anyone do that as of yet.

Then its a toss-up between scheme C  Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, C3824, “U”, J.W. Pearson & C.E. Walton, C Flight, 23 Sqn RAF, May to July 1918 and scheme D - Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, C3879, “Q”, R.B. Bannerman, C Flight 79Sqn RAF, August to November 1918.

I have a little while to nail it down.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Dave J

So just currently primed all the parts that I have been working on the last few days. I am hoping tomorrow if it goes well, I could start throwing some colour at the parts. Only one image at the moment a lot of the smaller parts are off to the side, so not too exciting!

Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
Hi Dave,

Mike

I'm great friends with Mike, and we catch up nearly on a daily basis, so I have seen his great progress on the Salamander. I think I will end up building one at some stage. I will just need to find a spare Snipe to do so.

https://www.tjdmodels.com/wingnut-wings-m-189.html

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Dave J

Good to know that they have one. I had a look at my pile at home, and I have the Barker and late kit sitting there. So I could use the late kite for it. Unless if the WNW Store reopens, I could grab another one.
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
Hi Dave,
I've built the Snipe already but ordered this one, just in case you can come up with your conversion - no pressure  :-\

Mike

Offline GazzaS

Nice start!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RAGIII

Excellent start!
RAGIII

Offline Dave J

Its been a busy one over the last week... Returned to the office after COVID Lockdown Level was dropped, so there was no popping down to the bench at breaks and lunch as I have been doing over the last 8/9 weeks. I must admit it was nice being at home, and I found that I got a lot more done in the way of work and building. Oh well. Have to return to some normality at some time!

So when I was able to get to the bench, I've been working on some of the larger parts clipping them off the sprues and cleaning them up, along with painting the cockpit parts. I have used mainly Mission Models paints so far, I converted over to them about three years ago from using MRP and Mr Color lacquer paints. Much as I loved my lacquer paints, the smell started to go through the house even with the door and windows open. Mission Paints are acrylic but seem to have similar properties as a lacquer as they dry reasonably quick, self-level, and have a good hardness to weather straight on top. I used Missions Nato Brown for the darker shade of wood and random tans and browns for the leather and seat colours. I also found an excellent match for the Battleship Grey too, its MMP-099 Gloss Grey USN FS16081. Its dries gloss, but a flat varnish will sort that out. A couple of pics of where I am now, the parts are only dry fitted in the cockpit at the moment. Still, lots to do in there!

Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Offline RAGIII

Beautifully Painted!
RAGIII