Author Topic: Roden D.I... to D.II. What else do I need?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline GazzaS

Roden D.I... to D.II. What else do I need?
« on: May 10, 2020, 02:22:54 PM »
HI Everyone,
   I just pulled the parts from the bag, and realized that I also have the Cabane struts for later models.  I believe that there are more painting options for the D.II than the D.I and I'm not wedded to any particular scheme, yet.  So, what else would I need to do to convert the D.I kit into a D.II?  I know Encore makes a kit, but I haven't found one, yet.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Roden D.I... to D.II. What else do I need?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 12:57:27 AM »
HI Everyone,
   I just pulled the parts from the bag, and realized that I also have the Cabane struts for later models.  I believe that there are more painting options for the D.II than the D.I and I'm not wedded to any particular scheme, yet.  So, what else would I need to do to convert the D.I kit into a D.II?  I know Encore makes a kit, but I haven't found one, yet.

Gaz

The interplane struts on the DII are a bit longer I think. I will have to check the Encore metal struts against the original Roden struts. If I have it backwards it will present No problem at all to shorten the kit struts  8)
RAGIII

PS: As usual I had it backwards. The DII interplane struts are indeed shorter, reduced gap on the DII!

PPS: I think the upper cowl needs slight modification to remove the openings for the cabane for the DI and of course you will need to drill for the DII/III type attachment points in wing and upper cowl.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:03:13 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 03:11:07 AM »
Be careful to choose an early D. II with the Windhoff Ohrenkühler (ear radiators), later D. II had already upper wing radiators. And be careful not to remove the molded attachment points on the fuselage sides. These are the same for Rodens D. I and D. III, so for the D. I they should be removed. But you’ll need them for the D. II Cabane struts. If you should have a D. III Kit, you also could use the upper cowl part Rick is talking about.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 06:32:54 AM »
Be careful to choose an early D. II with the Windhoff Ohrenkühler (ear radiators), later D. II had already upper wing radiators. And be careful not to remove the molded attachment points on the fuselage sides. These are the same for Rodens D. I and D. III, so for the D. I they should be removed. But you’ll need them for the D. II Cabane struts. If you should have a D. III Kit, you also could use the upper cowl part Rick is talking about.
Andreas

Thank you, Andreas! 

HI Everyone,

Gaz

The interplane struts on the DII are a bit longer I think. I will have to check the Encore metal struts against the original Roden struts. If I have it backwards it will present No problem at all to shorten the kit struts  8)
RAGIII

PS: As usual I had it backwards. The DII interplane struts are indeed shorter, reduced gap on the DII!

PPS: I think the upper cowl needs slight modification to remove the openings for the cabane for the DI and of course you will need to drill for the DII/III type attachment points in wing and upper cowl.

Thank you, Rick!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.