Author Topic: Looking for Irish decals for WNW late F2b  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Pup7309

Looking for Irish decals for WNW late F2b
« on: May 09, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
Will pay reasonable price and postage cost
Thanks!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Rob_Owens

Re: Looking for Irish decals for WNW late F2b
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 12:44:15 AM »
If you can’t find them, I’d think producing them from strips of solid decal material would be fairly easy (certainly easier than the later IAC yin-yang!). Microscale Trim Film orange (TF-10/TF-20), white (TF-1), and green (TF-9/TF-17) are all currently available on ebay.
HTH, Rob
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:32:34 AM by Rob_Owens »

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 01:05:02 PM »
Thanks Rob! Yes they are fairly straightforward (compared to later yin/yang.) I’ve never used the strips, never thought of it, great suggestion! Daz

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 05:22:25 PM »
If you're wanting to do the 1st scheme on the WNW website,I'd just spray them.

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 02:22:55 PM »
Sure, if you have an airbrush, you could mask/spray/ mask/ spray/ un-mask/re-mask/re-spray ad infinitum. . . The advantage of decals is that if you muck it up, a do-over is relatively simple, and won’t ruin the finish below them.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 08:23:44 PM »
And you'd also need the serial numbers and all the stencils, though... I have this kit, but intend to build the same scheme (sorry!)
There are some great (new) shots of these Irish machines on the WNW site now that weren't there before. They do lead me to doubt that these were in clear doped linen though, the lack of any transparancy would IMHO suggest they were painted as the later British and New Zealand machines.

Jeroen

PS some new great shots of a NZ Bristol with a message hook, too!

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 01:18:58 PM »
And you'd also need the serial numbers and all the stencils, though... I have this kit, but intend to build the same scheme (sorry!)
There are some great (new) shots of these Irish machines on the WNW site now that weren't there before. They do lead me to doubt that these were in clear doped linen though, the lack of any transparancy would IMHO suggest they were painted as the later British and New Zealand machines.

Jeroen

PS some new great shots of a NZ Bristol with a message hook, too!

Thanks for the heads up! It’s hard to tell from the photos but you could be right flat aluminium rather than CDL is the finish here

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 12:50:01 AM »
It's really hard to tell, as the rib tapes show up as they might on CDL. However, on some shots of silver Bristol's they look the same, and you'd think there would be some transparancy. When I get to mine I'll make it silver, as I also think it contrasts much nicer with those Irish colours! :)

hopefully someone comes through on the decals. :) (free topic bump!)

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 08:20:06 PM »
It's really hard to tell, as the rib tapes show up as they might on CDL. However, on some shots of silver Bristol's they look the same, and you'd think there would be some transparancy. When I get to mine I'll make it silver, as I also think it contrasts much nicer with those Irish colours! :)

hopefully someone comes through on the decals. :) (free topic bump!)

Ha Thanks! Yes the aluminium dope would look good!