Author Topic: Rigging in 1/48 Scale  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Ringleheim

Rigging in 1/48 Scale
« on: May 05, 2020, 03:39:15 AM »
With the demise of WNW I have thought about building a WWI aircraft in 1/48 scale for the first time.

The first thing that hits me is that rigging must be really difficult in an even smaller scale than 1/32.

I have been rigging WNW kits with success following the tutorials at this site.  I'm going with the fishing line, brass tubing, wire-made turnbuckle approach.

Does anyone do that in 1/48 scale? 

I have the fishing line/wire/tubing down to about as small as you can get it, which looks good in 1/32 scale.

I fear it would be too big in 1/48.

How do folks rig in 1/48?  Any tricks anyone can share?

Thank you,
Jim

Offline smperry

Re: Rigging in 1/48 Scale
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 04:45:45 AM »
Jim
I would pre drill all the holes at each end of each run, then insert the preferably pre colored rigging line, be it mono or elastic, into the hole and secure with a tiny drop of CA. Elastic installs tight and mono will shrink and tighten right up if you expose it to heat from a hot wire or an adjustable voltage soldering iron. Add turnbuckles out of a small drop of white glue, partially dried and applied with a toothpick or thin wire so it will hold an elongated shape on the rigging wire. Paint steel or brass when dry. Fake glue turnbuckles are closer to scale in 1/48 than anything you can actually manipulate or poke rigging through. They are noticeable as turnbuckles on my 1/48 models, but you really have to squint hard to tell they are glue blobs.
HTH
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:42:31 AM »
Thanks for the reply. 

I feared 1/48 would be too small to use separate components for all the rigging.

I will experiment with this technique!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:48:08 AM »
Yeah I haven’t given up yet on 32nd and am also looking at some 48th subjects.
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 03:09:52 PM »
Hi Jim - I indeed do use turnbuckles / tubing in 1/48, using much the same method as in 1/32. Here are some examples, to give you an idea of how this looks in 1/48:

It is certainly oversize and not to scale, but I still feel adding these buckles give a a little 'something' more to the model.

I don't do this in 1/72 scale, that would be very out of place.

Cheers,

BC

Offline Softscience

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 05:37:47 AM »
I use microtubing that I apply over monofilament and then use the through-hole method to attach. Paint the tubing silver to simulate a turnbuckle. Its not as intricately detailed as loops and brass rod, but is pretty nice, I think.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 07:12:47 AM »
You could use 0.4mm brass tube with ultra fine fishing line. 1lb breaking strain should be fine for bringing the line back through the tube.
When you make your eyelets, run the copper wire or silver wire through a candle flame to soften. This will allow a much tighter turn onto your former.

Good luck!
Happy rigging!

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Stuart Malone

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 04:52:35 AM »
Jim,

I posted my rigging reference sheet in a sub topic.  You can find it here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9806.0

I hope you find it useful or at least a starting point for your own calculations.

Stuart