Author Topic: WNW Jeannine Stahltaube  (Read 3926 times)

Offline gbrivio

WNW Jeannine Stahltaube
« on: May 04, 2020, 07:37:47 AM »
Hello everybody, I had a Taube started and set aside before the lockdown, have becomen a testbed for techniques-materials. Main feature is almost no paint used: only priming,preshading and minor details. All the livery and main components are finished with decals (Aviattic) and Bare metal foil. Is not a flawless model, but I'm learning a lot and this was the main goal for this build. Now missing retouching, varnish and rigging.
 Sorry for stuffing several pictures together. All comments are welcome.
Ciao
Giuseppe

DSCN4995 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN4994 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN4993 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN4990 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN4989 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN4988 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN4987 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN4986 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN4985 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN4984 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5220 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5216 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5215 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5214 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5212 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

Offline smperry

Re: WNW Jeannine Stahltaube
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 08:12:05 AM »
That is a clean, lovely , first rate build. I kinda like the unweathered look on a model as detailed as this. It relies on the details to stand out and this one jumps to the head of the line.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 08:23:14 AM »
    That's a very striking finish you've achieved, I really like the effect and detail you've created. I've only used the Aviattic plain fabric types a few times and although I like the effect your work on this one is light years beyond, a really terrific job!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 02:56:28 AM »
Wow! That finish is superb! Lovely realistic effects  Giuseppe!- I'm going to study this for a looong time! More details on the technique used on the wings would be very welcome! Is there another thread? Regards, Marc.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 05:08:40 AM »
Gorgeous -I always seem to struggle with decals, so double kudo's from me! :)

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 05:11:09 AM »
Thank you all for checking in and your kind words.
Marc, unfortunately I didn't start a thread on this but I post below few more pictures of an intermediat phase. I primed all with matt white, then for the upper surface I wanted the ribs to be lighter then surrounding fabric to simulate partaial transparency with dark ground below, while on lower surfaces, where light passes through fabric but not spars and ribs, the structure is darker. Upper surface I masked spars and ribs with 1,5 and 3 mm tape then sprayed a dark yellow. Lower surface I drew thin lines on ribs and spars edges with a gray pencil then filled all the structure with a light gray pencil (used Karismacolor artists gray shades) then blend lightly with a sorf brush (basically the technique as described on Des' tutorial in the homepage). Fuselage was graduated, lighter in the lower section, darker in the upper. Use very light colours and shades as the Aviattic decals are calibrated to give the right colour over white background. I used the "feldgrau faded dirty" featuring the usual linen effect and subtle tone variations in a random pattern I really like the resulting colour. Initially I calculated two sheets, but I wasn't accurate in cutting all the needed sections manteining the thread pattern and one wingtip remained uncovered so I needed to buy urgently another decal sheet (it was delivered in less then a week, considering shipping from UK to Italy with restrictions due to Covid it was lightning speed!) but I'm still pretty sure that it's possible to cut everithing from two with a tight margin. For the cowling I used "bare metal" Chrome foil burnished with the wooden rounded handle of a small brush and a toothpick in tiny recesses. Scales are hand drawn with a Molotow liquid chrome fine pen. I like the effect of see-not see depending on the point of view but still there is room for improvements.
I hope my description is acceptable, as I sometimes see my english inaccurete. If you need any other detail, please ask.
Ciao
Giuseppe

DSCN5170 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5136 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5184 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 07:09:44 AM »
Finally managed to rig and add the last details. I noticed some minor flaws after looking at pictures but I need to clear my bench, so officially I consider this as completed. I will post pictures also in the appropriate section.
Ciao
Giuseppe

DSCN5243 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5244 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5245 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5249 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5252 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

DSCN5253 by Giuseppe Brivio, su Flickr

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 10:43:04 AM »
Very Impressive !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Vickers

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »
Gadzooks! Your Dove is just beautiful inside and out. From those early days when pilots were pointing their father's pistols at one another. The fabric color and rib/spar effects are convincing and your canvas treatment looks marvelous.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 05:05:35 PM »
Thank you for visiting.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 04:11:41 AM »
Wow, Giuseppe! That is an amazing result! Thank you for posting! And thank you for your amazing and detailed description on your techniques for getting those amazing finishes! I will study them and pay attention, as I am sure many other modellers will! Thank you once again! Marc. 

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 06:19:34 AM »
Thank you Mark.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 10:52:20 PM »
That is magnificent Giuseppe! The Taube kit did not really interest me until I looked at your model and now realise I really like it! The engine cowling effect is especially well done!

Thanks!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 03:49:08 PM »
Thank you for visiting Dave, I think the Taube is a worthy subject and hope this kit will come back on the market.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 04:12:25 PM »
Congratulations on a fantastically finished model!  I love the shiny bits!

Very impressive!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.