Author Topic: SMS Lützow 1916  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Gisbod

SMS Lützow 1916
« on: May 03, 2020, 05:49:00 AM »

Evening all,

Another off topic build, but at least it’s WW1! Flyhawk kit with their Gold (expensive  :P ) Upgrade set. I really enjoyed it, but blimey, it’s challenging in this scale. My eyes are still aching. Super unforgiving in close ups but I tried my best.

To see how this scale should be built, check out Dai Sasahara’s ships - quite simply - insane  :o  I don’t think he can have much of a life though!  ;D

Anyway, here she is...

Thanks,

Guy

Ps still reeling from WNW’s demise!

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: SMS Lützow 1916
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 07:21:12 AM »
    Very nicely done Guy, the wood deck really sets it off! Just looking at the railings makes me shudder, an eye test indeed. Not really that far off topic, it has rigging of sorts .......
Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 07:55:29 AM »
That is an impressive model Guy. I have a kit of a 4 stack destroyer that was laid down during WWI but wasn't commissioned until 1919. I have only found one photo of the deck and it did not look wooden. Do you know if destroyers of the period had wooden decks, all or part, or were they all steel?

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 01:41:20 PM »
Fabulous Guy, wow that is even smaller than I imagined.
I have a wee bottle of tamiya extra thin cement sitting right here and shaking my head when I compare it to what I am seeing in your photographs.

Are you going to display it on a sea base?

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 03:20:19 PM »
Ah thanks! Much appreciated. Really.

Lance, yes, the wood decks available was the draw initially to ships, they look so real and really raise the whole build. So easy too - just sticky backed - child’s play with a pro result! Felt like cheating.

The rigging is Modelkasten 0.047mm - another superb product - it’s somehow metal coated and it has the ‘sag’ required.

Hi SP, sorry but I can’t really help you there, I know nothing about ships! But I would now pick a model with a wood deck just cos I like them so much...

Thanks Dave, that was the plan, well, just glass but as always, I run out of steam at the end, can only see the faults and want to shove it in a box and start something new!

I have just started the ICM 1/32 Gladiator which is fun already, it seems so big and simplistic after 1/700!

Guy

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 09:03:01 PM »
That is impressive work Guy.  The result is a real gem of a model for display and viewing pleasure!  Very well done.  I suspect that your precise and lovely rendering has inspired a few folks here to give ships a try.

When I was in high school more than a few decades ago, I built almost the entire Waterline Series of WWII vessels, from four Japanese manufacturers, mostly the IJN Combined Fleet.  They were relatively crude builds of my youth, but I loved It!  I still have a few that survived adulthood, and sometimes I think about trying to upgrade them or pull out a fresh kit. Thank you for sharing this and your beautiful Flower-Class corvette.  Outstanding Modeling!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 10:32:05 PM »
That is a lot of detail for such a small scale Guy , My eyes would ache as well after all that . Beautiful painting as well , most impressive build  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 10:33:25 PM »
Many thanks Bob & Terri!

I wouldn’t mind doing another ship - I’d like to improve..

Guy

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 02:18:29 AM »
I think Gobsmacked about covers things  ;D Stunning work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler