Author Topic: 1/33 ModelArt Morane-Saulnier Type L Parasol, paper kit  (Read 6026 times)

Offline rhallinger

Re: 1/33 ModelArt Morane-Saulnier Type L Parasol, paper kit
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2020, 11:45:46 PM »
Since I remembered it in time, I want to add the undercarriage bomb rack on this aircraft.  There are a few fuzzy pictures in the Datafile, and rather than going overboard with research for this (as my intent with this build is mainly to see if I could successfully build a paper kit, not create a perfect replica in every detail) I have simply crafted something that looks approximate based on the limited photographic evidence before me.  This will be under the air frame and across the rear landing gear struts, so it is not front-and-center on the model, but still visible.

I considered paper, but then decided that it would be easier and quicker to use Evergreen styrene strip (I guess I'm a multi-media kind of guy!) and some bead wire.  To get the visual image seen in the photos, I needed half a wire loop suspended below the cross-member for each bomb harness, and I counted four in the photo that I could see.  After a few minutes of noggin work I came up with the idea of creating what are essentially 3/16 eyelets with fine bead wire by twisting a length around a drill bit shank.  I made four of them, then drilled appropriately sized holes at the necessary intervals on the cross-member.  The eyelets were then added by pushing the twisted shaft through the hole and securing with a drop of CA.  I then cut the twisted shafts flush with the top of the cross-member with nippers, and did the same with the bottom half of the eyelet loop.  Voila--bomb harnesses!  Looks acceptable to my eye.

Here it is painted and installed:

I'm leaving off the bombsight/trigger mechanism, which looks like a big throttle quadrant on the right side of the fuselage next to the cockpit.  It's not included in the kit, and I'm applying the same premise as above for the bomb rack--not going for precision here.  My back story is that it has been removed by the mechanics for maintenance, testing and calibration--that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)

I just received some Uschi elastic thread in the mail, so I may try that for the rigging, which is up next. Until then,

Cheers,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2020, 10:26:04 PM »
Rigging came off with little heartburn, using Uschi elastic thread, creating a maze of wires.  They are hard to see in some photos unless the light skin of the aircraft is behind them, with the cluttered backdrop of my workbench.  This will be solved when I take shots of the completed model.

Speaking of which, the plastic prop is painted and the oil stain drying in a box for a day or so until I can clear orange coat it.  That's it then, and she'll be complete! ;D

Here are some bench shots of the rigging:

Tomorrow I can add the prop and she'll be done.  I've learned a great deal with this build, both about modeling paper kits and generally, made some mistakes and learned some more, but that's the point.  I really enjoyed this build and had fun with it, and at the end of the journey now have what I consider to be a very nice model of Warneford's Parasol in large scale.  Final shots with prop tomorrow.  Take care everyone!

Cheers,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2020, 02:50:30 AM »
Hey, you left off the glue spooges around the rigging.

Seriously Bob, that is a lovely model and I have looked forward to every update. The way you handled the edges of the cut paper pieces really makes this bird, it looks more plastic than paper. All up, how much do you estimate it weighs?
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2020, 02:51:57 AM »
Nice addition with the bomb rack! The rigging looks superb as does the whole model!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2020, 03:23:38 AM »
Thanks Rick and sp.  Much appreciated. :)

sp, honestly, I don't think it can weight more than a couple of ounces!  It is very light--I'll have to keep it away from household fans or it might blow away! ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2020, 02:59:31 PM »
Whoo-hoo, Bob!  Nice finish.  The prop will really nail it down.

I too like that you have no blobs of glue on the rigging.  I usually get those all over!

So what's next?  ::) ;D

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2020, 11:41:14 PM »
Thanks Dan!  It means a lot coming from you, my virtual mentor for paper modeling. ;) ;D

Next up will likely be a plastic kit for the Coronavirus Group Build, as I have a Special Hobby Nie. 11 that I've been tinkering with off and on for the past year or so, and it's time to get it done (which dovetails nicely with the Group Build theme).  After that, it will be back to paper I think, but I have not decided which one yet.  It's likely to be an Aviatik, either the Matt77 Berg D-1 you previously built (or it's Autumn mottle sister), or the Wektor Aviatik B.1 2-seater.

I realized that I had neglected to show the Windsock Datafile I used for this build, and since it has a beautiful color painting of Warneford's aircraft during the attack on LZ37, I thought I'd share it now, when all is done.

Here's my 1/33 M-S Type L Parasol paper model of Warneford's mount, with prop added and now complete on the bench:

This one is done!  (Well, almost--looking at the DataFile cover above, I realize that I may have left of one of the three stirrup steps on the fuselage, but that's easy to add tonight).  Great fun building it! ;D  Thanks to all who looked in, and especially to Dan for blazing this trail here on the Forum and sharing his techniques on YouTube as well.  Couldn't have done it without you, Dan!

As soon as I can cobble together materials for a simple photo box, I'll post more pics over in Completed Models, maybe this weekend if good fortune smiles upon the effort.  Take care all.

Cheers,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2020, 12:22:30 AM »
    Great model Bob, a really impressive piece of work that proves the quality of this genre of Kit building. It's a fascinating aircraft that, despite it's effective employment in the war, has not received a lot of attention. I'm impressed with the way you handled the landing gear and the rigging, despite it's delicate construction it looks pretty robust. A great addition to any collection, lovely work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2020, 08:44:24 AM »
Outstanding Model in all respects! I Loved following your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2020, 09:50:45 AM »
Man , that is so cool ! Love it  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2020, 02:43:48 PM »
Congrats, Bob.  That turned out just awesome.  A big thumbs up from the Tacoma area.

I do look forward to you next foray into paper and scissors!  ;)

Cheers,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2020, 10:56:17 PM »
Thanks Lance, Rick, Terri and Dan for your kind comments.  I've just posted a few more pics over in Completed Models.  I'll be back to plastic next to complete that lingering (or malingering) SH Nie.11, but I'll return to paper again soon--I've got a nice little assemblage of paper kits now of types unavailable in plastic, and now I know I can do it.  Nothing breeds confidence like success!  Thanks again everyone.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2020, 03:03:21 PM »
Bravo!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.