Author Topic: German pilot uniform question  (Read 964 times)

Offline jeroen_R90S

German pilot uniform question
« on: April 28, 2020, 02:04:32 AM »
I'm trying to put together an order for CSM for some figures, as I'm not very good at painting them, but they do really add something to a model when done right. As I always tell my kids "if you don't try, it'll certainly never get done" I want to get some nice figures.

However, I have zero knowledge about many things, including pilots and what they would and could wear.
First the photo of what I'm looking for:

Some background: the fellow in the middle is Obermatrose Franz Müller, who, according to my books, was from 2nd Marine Feldflieger Abteilung and flew DFW C. (LVG) 5287/16 to internment in The Netherlands on 29-07-1917.
Does anyone know what he is wearing, and if any figure by CSM is applicable to model him? I'd prefer a standing figure, but seated is allright as well.

Thanks in advance!

Jeroen

Offline Europapete

Re: German pilot uniform question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 05:11:55 AM »
Looking at the CSM site, I would say F32-035 or F32-036

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 05:54:26 AM »
Thanks for having a look!

These guys seem to be much more "inflated" due to the life vests, I suspect these are more intended for floatplanes?
On another site I had a good look at the specific DFW crew (the pilot especially isn't very clear on the photo's on the CSM site) but his clothing seems quite close to the picture -I suspect on the original photo his flying helmet and goggles had been taken off already.
I found this picture on the internet;

What do you think? The buttons appear to be a bit more pronounced, but otherwise...?

Too bad I don't need an observer, as the interned aircraft report mentioned there was no observer, but a sandbag for ballast -I wonder how they secured those back then!
(interestingly it did still carry the rear gun!)
Thanks again, Jeroen

Offline Europapete

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 11:32:06 PM »
Those look good too, and don't forget there was no "standard uniform" for warm flight gear, crew used whatever they could get hold of, and as the war dragged on, a few clothing companys became favored by crews as the best, and clothing "form followed function" .

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 05:12:01 AM »
When Googling for pictures I sure found a lot of different outfits, hence my questions... Unless I learn to sculpt figures myself (yeah, right!) I'm under no illision that there is a 100% matching figure for Herr Müller as shown on the photo.  ;D
However, the DFW pilot is close enough for me -I just placed the order, also for a Naval mechanic. Now to learn how to paint them... for that I ordered a seated pilot so he's not completely visible ;)
I'll have to think about what to do with the observer as well.

Jeroen

Offline Europapete

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 11:41:31 PM »
Sounds good, Herr Muller may have had a couple of different coats he could wear too  ;D