Author Topic: Sopwith Pup  (Read 667 times)

Offline jknaus

Sopwith Pup
« on: April 27, 2020, 12:49:53 PM »
Hi everyone. I have recently bought the Sopwith Pup with gnome engine. I was kind of stoked to put on the rockets but from what I can read none of the schemes in the kit would have been fitted with them. I was thinking of doing it anyways. Now here is the question. I was kind of taken by the final scheme which is a Home Defense aircraft. Impikoff 5 of 44 HD Sqn. I just noticed though it has no armament. I don't understand why it would not. Weren't these used for home defense against the Zepplins and the bombers? If so why no gun? If they never carried one I guess I'll be doing Baby Mine or Bobs but I am sure they never carried rockets so am less likely to put them on.
Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.
James

Offline Rob_Owens

Re: Sopwith Pup
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 01:44:08 PM »
Just because one photo shows the aircraft “sans Vickers” doesn’t mean there was never one fitted. As for the Le Prieur armament, you could do N5186 (shown in the photo in Step 13 of the instructions) with both the gun and rockets. The Le Prieur system was intended for destruction of observation balloons on the Western Front, not a weapon against the Zeppelin raids.
Regards, Rob

Offline jknaus

Re: Sopwith Pup
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 09:31:39 PM »
Thanks. Thats what I figured I end up doing. Good to know about the rockets. I was under the impression they were for the zeppelins but O can see where the observation balloons would make more sense. Thank you.
James