Author Topic: WnW Pup restart  (Read 2422 times)

Offline smperry

WnW Pup restart
« on: April 24, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »
I had given up on my first WnW kit but recently, I have been fooling with it and practicing some of the things I have learned here. (and not on some others).

The U/C needs assembly, the Ailerons need to be decalled and attached. The rest is final assembly and rigging.

Aside from the rigging, the biggest challenge remaining is attaching the lower wing. All the not quite fitting issues I made for myself in the beginning have worked their way down to this final join. Careful application of glue in sections and holding in place until set should get the job done without too much of a visible gap.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

Re: WnW Pup restart
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 12:17:02 PM »
Awesome SP! You might be working on as many as I am   8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 12:46:15 PM »
Rick, I have 4 going. Pup, Spad, Gulfhawk and a Peashooter. I'm glad I made a firm resolution to work on no more than 2 at a time. I'd have 6 going otherwise. Retirement has it's up sides.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 06:04:58 PM »
Ahh now. I also did things to my WNW Pup that made fitting the lower wing hard, something to do with adding details

Rest assured - it can be got around and will come good

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline smperry

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 06:18:06 PM »
Thanks Richard.
I had to apply a thin strip of card to cover a gap. It will serve as a painful reminder to follow WnW instructions precisely. All interior structure gets no paint on joins even if it has to be scraped off. Additionally everything gets looked at with a hand lens to locate all holes and pins before touching any glue.
I haven't run into a plastic kit that set me back on my heels like this one in many decades. When finished, this one will represent many lessons learned as well as many yet to be mastered. Kind of a signpost of where I need to go.
sp

Offline FAf

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 06:45:01 PM »
Aha... we can have a mini group build of that particular plane! (you might have mentioned this...  ???)
It looks very good and very shiny! Interesting to see that you haven't attached the lower wings, but you have attached tailplane and rudder. I've done the opposite. I'm sure you can overcome the fit issues and finish it!
/Fredrik

Offline smperry

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 07:00:14 PM »
Thanks Fredrik
We do seem to have Pups aplenty under construction. I got the lower wing on and it's up on the U/C and that has been rigged.
Photos will have to wait.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 07:21:22 PM »
All ready for rigging eyelets.
sp

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 09:28:43 PM »
Fitting the wing can be an issue.  On mine, I didn't glue in the interior cockpit frame, just trapped it in the fuse so it could move upward somewhat when the wing was fitted.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 10:04:59 PM »
Fitting the lower wing on the Pup has been said to be difficult. (I Never built one) There is a thread somewhere on here addressing the issues, in case you have another  ;D Yours looks great!
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 01:20:21 AM »
Looking fantastic, can't imagine why this stalled. It all looks so well executed.

Offline smperry

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 04:13:06 AM »
Interesting to note that others have had fit issues with the lower wing. My problems were of my own manufacture and I hope to avoid repeating them as I have a WnW Camel, Dolphin, DH.2 and Biff all with similar interior fuselage structure.

The reason it stalled is that it is a WnW kit, my first one, and I was unprepared for the overall level of detail and need to think ahead, yet follow the instructions precisely. I hadn't started a WWI plastic model in over 10 years when I started this one. I was mainly building it to see what the interior structure of a Pup was like for when I get around to building the 1/3 scale Pup I have in my RC stash. WnW was definitely more than I bargained on and it threw me for a 10 yd loss.

I learned a lot on this build. The need to prime in a color appropriate to the final finish, never pick up a drill without using a scriber to make a starter hole. I also learned great attention needs to be paid when installing rigging eyelets in order to leave the open loop oriented so the line can be easily aimed and passed through, (took me 3 hours to rig the U/C). I suppose the most important lesson about WnW kits is that they are an order or more of magnitude more precisely engineered and dry fitting is not the exercise in frustration and futility it is in many less well engineered kits out there.

So it's time to go flog these tired old eyes and stiff fingers into threading rigging line that I can barely see.
sp

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 05:34:07 AM »
The reason it stalled is that it is a WnW kit, my first one, and I was unprepared for the overall level of detail and need to think ahead, yet follow the instructions precisely. <snip>

I just had to go and check if I had written that. I could have, about the same kit and the same experience

If you can't see, buy yourself some magnification. I have a bench magnifier with a fluorescent tube, and I use it all the time. There are cheap Chinese ones on Ebay, I haven't tried one, they do look promising

I actually have two magnifiers, one on my modelling bench and one in the workshop

Richard

Offline smperry

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 06:20:25 AM »
Richard
I am a long time Optivisor user. I lost count of the times I've been "asked" to run to the store by SWMBO and gotten there with the optivisor on and raised. My left eye twitches and waters up badly. Botox injections tone it down, but it is just concentrating hard to control unruly muscles. Sort of like how hard it was at first to make your fingers give the bird or the Vulcan Live Long and Prosper sign. I find myself squinting while I try to thread line through a brass tube turnbuckle. Thread and buckle are in perfect alignment, then I move my head slightly and they are in perfect alignment only one is 3 cm above the other. Near zero depth perception. It's why I have mostly quit flying my more expensive RC models, just not very safe.
sp

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2020, 06:24:55 PM »
Like all tools, some work for some people and don't work for others. I don't get on with Optivisors at all.

The advantage of a big lens on a stand is both eyes are looking through the same piece of glass

Richard