Author Topic: Bristol M1.c in 1:32 scale  (Read 13624 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Bristol M1.c in 1:32 scale
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »
Recieved my Alley Cat 1:32 scale resin Bristol M1.c today, here is a brief look at what came in the box, I was very impressed.

Des.

All photos are of the kit as it was delivered, no clean up has been done at this stage.

The kit arrived in a very sturdy top opening box, it was package very well for post within another very sturdy box, no damage occured at all to the kit.

Upon opening the box the contents were all packaged nicely. There were five zip lock plastic bags each containing components for the build.

At the bottom of the box was the instruction sheet, this is a simple one page printed in B&W, it is easy to follow and has clear illustrations, there are no part numbers for any of the parts so reference to the drawings is essential.

The decals appear to be very good, colours are excellent and there is a good instruction sheet for decal application with seven options being offered.

One plastic bag contains the PE parts and the clear windscreen A second bag holds the metal undercarriage struts which are very well cast, the tail skid also in metal, two lengths of brass rod for the axle and spreaders and a length of 0.5mm plastic rod for the engine push rods.

Another bag holds the two wings which have very finely detailed ribs, and the one piece fuselage which is also very well moulded inside and out, but it is heavy.

Bag number four has the components for the engine, they are well cast but the cooling fins on the cylinders are a little soft. There are two seats offered, one has the seat belt moulded as part of the seat the other is just the seat so you can add your own belts if so desired. Fuselage frame looks very good as does the wheels and other bits and pieces.

The final bag contains the prop and spinner moulded as one unit, two types of cockpit coaming, a lovely engine cowling plus the tail items, the tail also has nicely detailed ribs.

Being one of the first fifty people to purchase this kit I also received a figure. It is of a RAF pilot wearing his Sidcot suit with fur lining, thigh length boots, three finger mitten type gloves and a leather helmet with goggles.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 04:02:34 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Bristol M1.c in 1:32 scale
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
   Des,
My old friend am I ever looking forward to following your latest project. The kit looks very very good too.Especially the pilot figure.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »
That looks pretty complete. The metal landing gear struts are a sound idea.

Steve

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
That's a magnificent looking kit Des and like others I'm very interested to follow your progress in making it. Resin kits are still something of a Dark Art to me but they represent a valuable niche in the hobby for subjects that may be ignored by mainstream large scale kit manufacturers. The pilot figure looks amazing and I hope he is or will be made available separately.

Given what Alley Cat's achieved with the resin moulding quality of its Bristol M1.c, we can hope they will be encouraged to tackle other subjects- a DH.5 would be high on my wish list, and a Sopwith Baby.

Kind regards

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline xmald

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »
Congrats mate! Watching your build will be like watching a pretty good film. I can`t wait till you actually begin.
Best regards
Filip

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
I cleaned up all the parts then gave them a good wash. I have the cockpit assembly completed, all parts went together extremely well with CA giving a superb bond. I have used all the kit supplied items plus added a few extras like the pressure pump, throttle quadrant, switches, plumbing, bracing wires, control cables and instrument decals, I used Airscale 1:48 scale WW1 instrument decals which are brilliant. Even though the kit supplied seats are good I opted for a wicker seat, this particular seat was sent to me by Scott (albatros1234).

As you can see the cockpit tub fits into the fuselage very well, it slides in from the front with no problems at all, a perfect fit. Colouring the stringers inside the fuselage was a bit difficult, being a one piece fuselage it does not give much room to work. As with most WW1 aircraft, once the cockpit coaming is fitted all the hard work done inside virtually disappears.

Here are a series of photos to show where I am up to at the moment, so far I am very pleased with the quality of this kit, all parts fit extremely well.

Des.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:26:46 AM by Des »

Offline ggl1269

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »
looking great..... ;)

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 11:08:22 PM »
I see now how you spent your time while your internet service was out of order!  ;D

Beautiful work Des. Your painting brings the wicker seat to life and I can only hope that Scott decides to offer them for sale as I think they'd prove to be a popular item. It really is unfortunate that the fuselage coaming obscures a large portion of your work.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:28:41 AM »
Excellent work as usual!

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 12:46:31 AM »
Pretty to watch as always, Des. Your cockpit assembly is very well done, really like the seat as well. I spent almost a full day earlier this week modifying/repairing the wicker seat on my WNW "Bif" and it comes no where near to Scott's results. Looking forward to the rest of this build, I've never done a Vac Kit but this one looks like a real winner.
Cheers,
Lance 8)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 04:00:32 AM »
  Des,
Beautiful works my old friend. It looks like this is the perfect first time resin kit with straight forward construction and excellent details. No doubt about it she'll a real show stpper when complete.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 05:34:07 AM »
You make it look so effortless Des!  ;)  That cockpit and wicker seat look fabulous (slightly off topic, I second Chris's motion for Scott to sell the wicker seats!  :D ). 

Keep up the good work.  You're blazing the trail for the rest of us who ordered the M1.c!  Thanks.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 05:56:49 AM »
Excellent and inspiring work Des and I add my vote to those urging Scott to make his wicker seats available for purchase. It is a show stopper in that cockpit.

I love the level of detail you have added to the kit's parts and it is impressive that the cockpit assembly slides neatly into the one piece fuselage- it shows how carefully engineered the kit parts are.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
Just a small update. I have decided to do this model as one of the trainer versions so the appropriate cockpit coaming has been fitted, the engine cowl is also fitted. The metal undercarriage struts went on very easy and with the axle and spreader bars it is a very robust assembly. The rigging top mast is resin but once glued together and fixed to the fuselage it is quite strong. I added hinges to the elevators using 0.5mm brass tube, the tail planes have now been fixed to the fuselage. So far all the parts have fitted extremely well with very little adjustments needed to achieve an excellent fit, this is a credit to Alley Cat Models.

Des.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:57:47 PM by Des »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »
This one's moving right along Des!  Looking good.  :D  Glad to hear it all fits so well.  My copy just arrived yesterday, but it is a bit down on the build list.  I'll be learning from your experience!  ;)  Thanks for sharing this.

The metal landing struts look very sturdy and realstic.  Glad to see that they assembled and attached so well.  That's always a worrisome area for me.

Very impressive so far! 

Regards,

Bob