Author Topic: Sets of decal numbers - who makes them?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Sets of decal numbers - who makes them?
« on: April 17, 2020, 11:52:51 PM »
I am looking for decal sheets of tail numbers that were used by Albatros.  Specifically, I want to create the tail number for an Albie D.iii  D.2135/16   Anyone know where I can get such a thing in the right fonts, size for 1/32 scale, etc.?

If anyone has leftover decals that can construct this number, I would be interested in making some kind of deal.

Best Regards,

Ken

Online RAGIII

Re: Sets of decal numbers - who makes them?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »
I am looking for decal sheets of tail numbers that were used by Albatros.  Specifically, I want to create the tail number for an Albie D.iii  D.2135/16   Anyone know where I can get such a thing in the right fonts, size for 1/32 scale, etc.?

If anyone has leftover decals that can construct this number, I would be interested in making some kind of deal.

Best Regards,

Ken

I don't know of any specific sheet Ken. I will check MY stash of unused Albatros Decals and see if I have something that you can use to cob the serial number together.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Europapete

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 08:55:37 AM »
Sorry Ken, I checked and have none that match. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »
You might consider “rub-on” letters/numbers sheets available from crafts/stationery stores and on-line stores. They can be rubbed on to clear decal material, and then applied as “wet” decals. I’ve used this method for both RFC and French serials I couldn’t find on commercial decal sheets.
HTH, Rob

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 08:48:12 PM »
There was some free fonts available on the Aerodrome forum several years ago. I can't remember who the clever person was who created them but I think they were free to use for personal use. They were Fokker, Albatros, Pfalz and Austro-Hungarian. I may still have them on my computer I'll have a look. You would just need to size them on a program on your computer and print them out on clear decal paper.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton Qld

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 09:38:04 PM »
There was some free fonts available on the Aerodrome forum several years ago. I can't remember who the clever person was who created them but I think they were free to use for personal use. They were Fokker, Albatros, Pfalz and Austro-Hungarian. I may still have them on my computer I'll have a look. You would just need to size them on a program on your computer and print them out on clear decal paper.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton Qld

If you find them, can I have a copy? I'll host it somewhere so it can be found by internet users

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline kensar

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 12:22:44 AM »
I would be very interested in that.

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 10:46:57 AM »
Here you go guys. Just install them as you would any other font. They are mostly the numbers and whatever letters that would've been used, for example, the Fokker font has the capital E for Eindecker, the D for any fokker biplane as well as lower case v and r and / for creating any triplane or DVII serial. The Albatros only has a capital D plus the . and the numbers and the Pfalz has a capital D plus a lower case 'a' for creating D.III and D.IIIa serials. the Austro-Hungarian is all numbers plus the full stop. So have fun and experiment with them. I use Photoshop for printing mine. I first scan in the original decals from the kit and then place a new layer and then a text layer, that way when I type I can resize the font to the correct size and spacing over the original decals then I delete that scan and then I know that when I print it will be the correct size. But you could use any program really even Microsoft Word would do. As I said I've forgotten who created them originally, I know that it's somewhere in the depths of the Aerodrome forum, but if I can find it I will post the credit because these fonts have been very helpful to me. Anyway have fun guys

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton, Qld

Offline petrov27

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 11:00:29 AM »
-Patrick

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 11:04:18 AM »
I just went into the Aerodrome forum and found that the original creator of the fonts went by the handle 'Modelhound' from 2008. He has since disappeared from the forum but, as I said, I am very thankful for his fonts. Below is the original post:-

Hello All,
For those of you who haunt the models forum, this is old news. I did however receive an email that suggested that I post this offer here in the Colors and Markings forum.

I have created four True Type fonts that has what I believe to be correct forms of the serial numbers used on the Austro/Hungarian, Fokker, Pfalz and Albatros aeroplanes.

These fonts may be obtained by sending me an email to [email protected] with C&MFonts Request in the subject line of your email.

That's all there is to it.

Mike in Bellingham, WA 98226 USA

As I said the above email link is dead. I have seen his fonts shared at other times so hopefully I'm allowed to share, he did not ask for any form of payment and would freely send the fonts to any who asked.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton Qld

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 04:21:03 PM »
fantastic, fantastic stuff. thank you, and thank the mysterious "modelhound".

Offline kensar

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 09:50:14 PM »
Thanks VERY much for posting this here Dave.  I'm sure a number of people will find a good use for them.