Author Topic: Wingnut Wings has been permanently closed down  (Read 40647 times)

Offline macsporran

Re: Wingnut Wings has been permanently closed down
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2020, 04:20:20 PM »
I was always mystified why a Viper engined SE5a was never developed.

Me, too.

Me, too - except the Suiza took such a long time to sell out, that perhaps they thought another SE would just sit on the shelf forever.
The SE was one of the original four releases way back and as one the most important WWI subjects and many people's favourite aircraft of the period, maybe WNW expected huge sales and produced huge numbers accordingly. However many modellers prefer colourful LSK types and can be intimidated by the subtleties of a PC10 finish.  8)
Thus it took 8 or 9 years to sell out which maybe put them off releasing a Viper - also the initial stated objective was not to replicate an existing offering and Roden had a good Viper kit.
I love the SE and have several of them.
Interesting that now this shelf-sitter is oop, it's attracting huge prices on eBay! Should've bought 'em sooner while they could.

Personally I always harboured a hope they'd do an SE5, as well as both engines on the 5a.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:27:59 PM by macsporran »

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2020, 03:05:27 AM »
I was just over at the WNW website, and noticed that it remains unchanged.

I.E., it's still there; they are still not taking orders; the initial message discussing a "temporary shutdown due to complications from covid-19" remains unchanged.

I guess we have good information saying that the employees were fired and those involved have stated the company has ceased to exist.

So then why hasn't the message been updated at the website? 

Is it possible the company will make a comeback under Peter Jackson's ownership? 

I would suggest that seems highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

It just seems that they are keeping the door somewhat open with the message at the website.

If they are closed and closed for good, why not say so, out of respect to their customers/supporters?

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2020, 03:16:02 AM »
So then why hasn't the message been updated at the website?

Because there is no-one to do it?

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline pierrelm

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2020, 03:53:42 AM »
I was always mystified why a Viper engined SE5a was never developed.

I exchanged emails with Richard Alexander immediately 'before the fall'. He wasn't specific  -I'd asked about my own personal 'wish list':a Viper Se5a, a Rolls Royce powered RFC DH4, Hanriot HD 1 and  Hannover ClIIIa. The reply was along the lines of 'if there is enough interest and demand from their customer base.  I'd asked about the Hannover before and received a definite 'no', but it's a personal favourite of mine, so why not ask again?. I think that with the clamour for the upcoming Dreidecker kits, that it would have seen a move toward more populist releases, to subsidize the odd obscure one. A Viper Se5a with a Mannock figure, would have sat nicely alongside a McCudden Hisso 'special' and I know there was a Voss 'special' waiting in the wings...

I hope that we get chance to find out - there's a lot of talent waiting to be redeployed.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2020, 03:55:42 AM »
Ringleheim,

The WNW experience was one we all are certainly missing right now, but if you take all the romance out of it...its a business.

No commercial firm has any obligation to post reasons for it's operating status or possible plans for the future.

If you look at the business before these turn of events, they were not exactly forthcoming on new releases etc. (is any company?) Even in this unusual world state why would we expect differently?

I was encouraged to receive an email message from them recently about reopening sales when they can, but I'm not going to count the days until that happens.

In my view, why would they open retail sales to guys like us when they can wholesale the lot to dealers for a quick turnaround.

There is nothing we can do.

Respectfully,
Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Dekenba1

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2020, 04:12:23 AM »
My take is that negotiations are ongoing regarding an investment in, or sale of, WNW. As part of this process, with the buyer undertaking due diligence, the buyer asked for an email be sent to reassure customers that the kits will be available again at some point.

This is complete speculation on my part, for which I have not the slightest evidence for.

But I've seen lots of company sales, buy-outs, liquidation, etc, and this just feels like a company changing ownership.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2020, 05:16:20 AM »
[

Correct,  The SE.5a has been sold out for over 2 years. 

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3

Eric
[/quote]

The LVG C.VI was sold out - it came back as a reboxing in a duellists kit.

The RE.8 'Harry Tate' was sold out - it came back as a reboxing in a duellists kit.

The W-29 was sold out - it came back as a reboxing in a duellists kit.

The DH.2 was sold out - it came back as a reboxing in a duellists kit. Then it came back in a character reboxing.

The Albatros kits were sold out - they came back as a 3-kit reboxing.Then they came back as a character "Jasta 5" reboxing.

When the Albatros Jasta 5 was sold out, Albatros came back as NINE special editions.

The Hannover Cl.II sold out - it came back as an "early" reboxing.

The Sopwith Triplane sold out. It came back as a character reboxing.

The Pfalz D.IIIa sold it - it came back as TWO special editions.

Both Snipe kits sold out - it came back as a character reboxing.

The Fokker EII-EIII sold out - it came back as both a duellist kit and a character kit.

The Fokker D.VII F was sold out - it came back as a character reboxing.

WNW releases kits after they become "sold out" - it's a cheap way of raising cash.

The idea that the SE.5a would not, as some point, be reboxed is ignoring the evidence.

Of course, I assume that the moulds will find their way back onto the market at some point, WNW or sans WNW.

Actually this might have been pretty smart marketing or perhaps one of many possible set pieces: the initial run was a set # with an option for X number of re-runs at xx $ each thus the "re-boxes". Or if you wish to engage in the..." evil capitalist devious plan"  run Y # of kits But sell only Y minus A as a bench mark to declare  a "sold out " status to keep Y minus A to be sold later at a higher price--OOPS higher prices never happened. Or, how bout some combination of the previous 2. Or 3, we really do not have enough information to know what really happened, or what is GOING to happen.

Remember that when the kits were 1st released, it was a bolt of lightning, not a single rumor of them was floating around anywhere, which in this hobby is unheard of; my calculation is that it was underway for at least 7 years before they appeared.  Ray Rimell is one of a very few "outsiders" who had some involvement/knowledge/input whatever in WNW ( he has never said exactly what, much to his credit). On his fb website his only comments have been..." wait and see"...

Was looking forward to that Dr-I even the Lanc. frontend, and Sure, I'd like a Dh-4, Halb D-II/III, Roland D II, Hanriot... ad infinitum, but if we never get more I'm happy to have some and seen  the greatest kits of subjects that in our wildest dreams would never exist !
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2020, 01:42:58 PM »
Someone just posted this on LSP forum:

“Just received an email from Rachelle at WNW"s...My kits will be shipped in 2 to 3 weeks.

Whohoo!”
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 02:05:36 PM by Chuckt5 »

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2020, 07:54:21 PM »
Great! Darn should have put an order in ...
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2020, 07:59:59 PM »
Ringleheim,

I was encouraged to receive an email message from them recently about reopening sales when they can, but I'm not going to count the days until that happens.

In my view, why would they open retail sales to guys like us when they can wholesale the lot to dealers for a quick turnaround.

There is nothing we can do.

You make some good points. Maybe Dave J might have an idea. Hopefully they have the staff so it will be both wholesale and individual customers like us!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2020, 08:38:25 PM »
I bet there are a few WNW owning people today who wish they had not paid £288 for an SE.5a......

That is really..well... wierd..., especially as there is an alternative.
For that price it can't be that much better than the Roden kit with some aftermarket? But I guess that's just me I suppose!
It's probably all just a big bubble waiting to burst... I love my (limited) stash of WNW kits, but have plenty of other stuff to build, but, again, I guess that's just me.

Jeroen

Offline Russell

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2020, 10:31:18 PM »
I bet there are a few WNW owning people today who wish they had not paid £288 for an SE.5a......

For that price it can't be that much better than the Roden kit with some aftermarket? But I guess that's just me I suppose!
It's probably all just a big bubble waiting to burst... I love my (limited) stash of WNW kits, but have plenty of other stuff to build, but, again, I guess that's just me.

Jeroen

Jeroen,
I won't comment on prices but the WnW kit is way ahead of the Roden one & still would be even if the relatively few suitable aftermarket items are added to the Roden kit.

Regards
Russell

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2020, 12:46:09 AM »

Jeroen

Jeroen,
I won't comment on prices but the WnW kit is way ahead of the Roden one & still would be even if the relatively few suitable aftermarket items are added to the Roden kit.

Regards
Russell

GBP 258 ahead????

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2020, 12:46:47 AM »
What i meant to say is, that at least there is an alternative... for most of the WnW catalogue there are no other models available. I'd expect some of those to be so expensive.
I have both (the Roden is a Viper), and yes, the Roden isn't as good, but the WnW isn't flawless either ;)
Better up my insurance! :P

Jeroen

Dekenba1

« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2020, 11:40:02 PM »
What i meant to say is, that at least there is an alternative... for most of the WnW catalogue there are no other models available. I'd expect some of those to be so expensive.
I have both (the Roden is a Viper), and yes, the Roden isn't as good, but the WnW isn't flawless either ;)
Better up my insurance! :P

Jeroen

I agree.

The Roden kits, in terms of value for money, have always struck me as bargains. They can be had for less than £30. Not perfect, but certainly not bad.

Now WNW have ceased, Roden kits now look like outstanding value compared them.

Last week, I bought 16 Roden 1/32 WWI kits, at an average price of about £25. They cost a little over £400 delivered

That £400 would now buy less than a handful of WNW kits.

Bargain.